Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

120R Street Glide 9K mile touring review

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:35 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up 120R Street Glide 9K mile touring review

Installed the screaming eagle 120R Kit(not crate) last fall into my 09 street glide. It has the SE266 CAM, SE Roller Rockers, D&D Boarzilla Exhaust, and Timken Bearings. Tuned by Blue Springs, MO Harley-Davidson to 140ish square. This is my review as a touring platform after 5K of daily riding and a 4K summer vacation tour.

I opted to stick with the recommended SE pro race clutch setup. While this is a great clutch for racing, most will not be able to handle the pull on a daily basis. I've ridden it so much I don't see the need to change it out for another option(vpc, hydraulic, etc..) The pull is ok for me but wouldn't reccommend for any average rider.

The torque of the bike is spot on for my touring habits, it will pull stumps with no complaints and I see no reason to move the torque curve more to the left. It has enough torque now at lower rpm to roast the tires and i've found that having the torque up a bit higher is more suitable for roll on power in 5th and 6th gears when you want to pass someone(i cruise at 70+). The engine seems to be very happy at the 2800-3200 rpm range and is optimum cruising range at 75-80 in 6th. It's equally capable of cruising at 60-75mph in 6th, but it suffers a bit of roll on power in this lower rpm range. Caveat: it is more than adequate roll on power even in that range.

Heat issues daily and touring - Non existent in 90+F deadlock traffic. I have the screaming eagle premium oil cooler. This engine runs so much cooler than my stock 96 with Stage 1 you'll not hear any complaints about heat from me. It never has kicked in the heat management system(yes it's turned on).

Fuel milage - Daily I get 35-40 when I'm riding like a mad man, 40-50 when driven sanely.

After 4000 mile trip through Arkansas Mountains, New Orleans Traffic, Gulf Coast Beach Cruise, Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee backroads, Tail of the Dragon, Cherehola Skyway, Blueridge Parkway, 4 lane flat highways, 4 lane hilly highway... any type of riding you could think of in this area it consistently got better fuel milage than my fathers stock(no stage 1) Ultra Limted 103". Anywhere from 2/10 to 1/2 gallon per tank better. The reason, I was able to cruise in 6th gear more often in more situations than a stock 103". The power of the 120R allows it eat up roads with ease. The only place that I got slightly less fuel milage was in the tail of the dragon when I was slaying it while he was cruising it. Even then it was a marginal difference.

Carving in the mountains: Umm this engine affords you the torque to really power through and out of the curves to the next one without a ton of shifting. 1-2 gears most of the time in the mountains. Obviously you'll have to get it down into some lower gears on the 15mph rated mountain curves, but it gives you enough power to hang with bikes you previously had no chance. I'm not an expert mountain carver, but even with my mediocre skills i could hang with the average sport bike riders. I'm sure many of you more skilled riders would have a blast on a 120r equipped Harley.

Is it a touring engine - performance and fuel efficiency I would have to say yes. Reliability still to be proven. Need more miles to really prove reliability.

Last edited by itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$; 06-16-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:08 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice write-up. Glad to hear it's working out well so far!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Thet
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice writeup. Makes me want to just throw a 120R in my SG. haha

Old 06-15-2011, 01:18 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

She's a beaut, and sounds like you have her where you want her.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 06-15-2011, 01:28 PM
gunnyBob
Cruiser

Thanks for your review.
Seems she is happy with that set up... as you are :-)

Old 06-15-2011, 02:39 PM
jackinthebox
Road Master

Damn I want a 120 bad. Dealer has one sitting on display and I was staring at it yesterday! Glad you got some nice real world data on it. 9,000 miles is not to shabby for an review

Old 06-15-2011, 02:42 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"

Adding close up of the head 120R tag for some proof of ownership:

Old 06-15-2011, 04:34 PM
utlonghorns416
Road Master

Man that would look great in my bike !

Old 06-15-2011, 08:19 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 341 Likes on 205 Posts

This is the best thing I've done to the bike.

I went Rivera Primo Clutch, and the crate engine. It kicks ***, but I've never attempted a wheelie or a burnout. [Tires are expensive...]

The Rivera Primo has gold springs, and just got the spacers put in. I did a motorcycle skills course, and my left hand and forearm throbbed after the weekend course.

I've ridden from Vancouver BC to Fort Bragg California recently. It is awesome.

Just shaduup and buy it if you want it. You wont be disappointed...

Warranty is for worriers.

Riding Motorcycles is risky....

Screw it...

Old 06-15-2011, 09:15 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Congrats, sounds like a winner! I want one too.....someday!

Quick Reply: 120R Street Glide 9K mile touring review