Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 06:51 AM
RSDUDA
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Oil cooler

I am thinking of installing a oil cooler on my 2009 FLHX I am just starting to look at them and I was looking for advise on what is the best for the bike
thanks
Ron

Old 06-15-2011, 06:59 AM
Romingnometx
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the Ultra Cooler on two weeks ago and its great. It has an electric fan to aid low speed cooling, and it moves a lot of air. Dr V-Twin got me a great deal and fast shipping.
I will warn you, installation is a bit complicated because of the fan and cooler location. I ride in 100* weather everyday, so the trouble was worth the better cooling for me.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:04 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,839 Likes on 22,511 Posts

I put an oil bud cooler on after speaking w/a guy that I know that had the HD Premium cooler on his. He said that he still hits 300 degrees in the summer when his ultra is fully loaded and his wife is riding with him and they are crusing 80-85.

The oil bud cooler guarantees a 35 degree temp and they deliver that and then some.
In fact there is a used one in the classified section now.
I like them as they fit up in/recessed in your frame.
They are the biggest or have the most cooling surface on the market.
They are also the most expensive price wise.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:36 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

Jagg makes one of the best oil coolers out there , I looked at the Ultracoolfl because I liked the idea of a fan , there are many issues with these units , I would get the Jagg or wait a few weeks if you want a fan as Jagg will be releasing a fan assisted oil cooler in a few weeks and it's quality is far superior

Old 06-15-2011, 07:44 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

RSDUDA,
Looks like you are way up north, about any cooler should bring you down to more acceptable temps. Your considerations are, cost, appearance, function, hopefully origin of manufacture, and whatever goals you have in mind. My opinion JAGG is the best performing, nothing wrong with the HD cooler, Ultra Cool; for a fan assisted system it's not that impressive but its still better than a standard cooler. Oil Bud is extreemly tough, hidden out of view, and it works very well. There are also several other heat sink types from different manufacturers, or you can route it through your crash bar (proven effective and cheap).

Old 06-15-2011, 08:22 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest you consider a cooler that includes a thermostat somewhere in the system. The thermostat will help ensure the cooler does not over cool the oil when riding in lower temperatures.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:25 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
RSDUDA,
Looks like you are way up north, about any cooler should bring you down to more acceptable temps. Your considerations are, cost, appearance, function, hopefully origin of manufacture, and whatever goals you have in mind. My opinion JAGG is the best performing, nothing wrong with the HD cooler, Ultra Cool; for a fan assisted system it's not that impressive but its still better than a standard cooler. Oil Bud is extreemly tough, hidden out of view, and it works very well. There are also several other heat sink types from different manufacturers, or you can route it through your crash bar (proven effective and cheap).
This is one I've never heard before. If it really is effective, it would also IMHO greatly increase your oil capacity, also a good thing. I'd be careful to flush the bar out first. Could have rust and other crap in there. I'll have to do some searching on this topic. I've got a 103 with the factory cooler and would love a cheap upgrade.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Max96
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My buddy has the crash bar oil cooler setup, works great.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:23 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
I put an oil bud cooler on after speaking w/a guy that I know that had the HD Premium cooler on his. He said that he still hits 300 degrees in the summer when his ultra is fully loaded and his wife is riding with him and they are crusing 80-85.
Something is wrong with your friend's bike, as that is far higher than I'm seeing or anyone else I've seen report on the HD cooler. After four years in S. LA summers I see 230° maybe 2-3 times per year in gridlocked traffic, otherwise staying between 205-220° in the hot part of the year. He should check for sumping or some other cause for excessive heat.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:34 AM
alkrisma
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd hope any cooler would do it but I'm a fan of OEM

Quick Reply: Oil cooler