Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Vests - Coast To Coast Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 01:50 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Cooling Vests - Coast To Coast Review

Just wanted to pass on a review of a Cooling Vest I bought and used...
I rode with www.rftw.org this year and picked up the wife in DC... prior to DC, weather was fine
LOL> didn't really need it until After I left DC - picked up the wife and road East and south to Virginia Beach - from there we rode out to NC Outer banks and south to Charleston, SC - We needed the Cooling Vest and put them on - arriving in Charleston, SC in the afternoon of May 30 was a Killer/Heat - even though the Dew point/Humidity was high - they worked pretty good - made it ridable. We continued to wear them as needed down to FL over to Mobile, AL and into New Orleans. Then we headed across south Texas into NM and across AZ and into Palm Springs CA... That ride across Texas, NM, AZ and into CA was HOT and dry - The vest worked great...

I believe they work best under a vented jacket - I wear perforated leather - wife wears standard leather with long zippered vents in front and back - both worked good - not sure how well if at all if worn Without a vented jacket - better than just a T-shirt in HOT riding...

Anyway, a great buy at about $35

Here is a copy of what the company says

http://www.esafetystore.com/GroupInfo/GroupID/21000

Evaporative Cooling (HyperKewl™) - this simple and effective technology works by combining water with our HyperKewl™ Fabric to create garments that gradually release water through evaporation to keep you cool, but comfortable.
Typical applications include industrial safety, construction, emergency services, military, outdoor recreation, athletics, motorcycling and equine.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:58 PM
mikedero
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool thanks for the share just ordered mine in army camo

Old 06-14-2011, 02:41 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the write-up, I've been considering one of these.

Thanks again!

Old 06-14-2011, 03:14 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

My wife and I bought one each at Laughlin this year. In high heat and low humidity your looking at a couple hours not 5-10 hours, but I figure if you soak them every time you stop for gas your good. We carry them in large ziplock baggies so you can pack them without getting the rest of your luggage wet.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:20 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Sign me up. I didn't even know they had these. I just posted a thread on how hot it gets in different places and found this right after. I will definitely give it a try. Thanks for the post.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 06-14-2011, 03:36 PM
icepick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi bmaier, I just ordered vests for myself and my wife as it is very hot here in MS. so you pre-soak yours in water and put them in large zip-locks? and when you want to wear them, do they get you wet? Have you also found that they work best under a vented or flow through jacket? Thanks for any tips.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:39 PM
RThomas4223
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ron Hall, the owner of the local [Chico, CA] dealership told me about the vests several years ago. My initial response was, "Yeah. Right." But, to humor him & keep his shop in the green, I purchased one.
I wear it under my HD armored mesh jacket, & on the warmest days, it's only good for about an hour. But, during that hour, it is very effective. The worst part is putting it on just after "refreshing" the water. Sometimes, it is "shockingly cool."
Overall, it has been a godsend.
There is an additional use, too. When the temperature goes the other way, using the dry jacket as a liner to my jacket has also kept me warm.
If it is not "the best" accessory I've purchased, it is in the "top 5." I highly recommend its purchase & use.
BTW, here in Northern CA, we have dry heat, so the evaporative nature works well. I would really have to "see for myself" how it would work during those 100% humidity days.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:45 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one for about 4 years now. In AZ they work great. I live 20 miles from work. Keeps me pretty cool on the commute.

I don't use them in the morning commute, the heat doesn't really bother me. But on the ride home, they are great.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:53 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by icepick
Hi bmaier, I just ordered vests for myself and my wife as it is very hot here in MS. so you pre-soak yours in water and put them in large zip-locks? and when you want to wear them, do they get you wet? Have you also found that they work best under a vented or flow through jacket? Thanks for any tips.
Icepick, you soak them but can very gently wring excess out. They are made of a hygroscopic polymer so they hold alot of water without dripping. Yes in packing them in the ziplocs ahead of time, if you head out early in the morning when its cool but anticipate it getting hot you can presoak them and store them in the bags.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:23 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

I have used just the Frogg Toggs cooling bandanna's and cooling sheet (bigger) - Wrap em around your neck and they cool the blood cruising to and from our noggins. They are KEY in desert riding.

These are the best VESTS, I think as they are made by a company who are industrial folks making for all sorts of uses (factories, firemen, etc etc). http://www.techniche-intl.com/en/home.html

You can go nuts, but $15 Frogg Toggs wraps for your neck are usually adequate, or the lighter vests $35.

My .02 anyway.

Last edited by sgnden; 06-14-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Cooling Vests - Coast To Coast Review