Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar install

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011 | 12:37 PM
idontknow
|
Advanced
Default Handlebar install

Hey all,
I have some WO575 that should be here this afternoon...so I started taking the bike apart. So far so good, I have the old bars off and am waiting for FEDEX. I started to look at the left switch harness to see what will need to be done to put the wires internal when I put everything back together. I saw one set of pictues that showed the plug being disassembled, wires run and then I assume reassembled in place. I can't seem to get the plug apart. Is this the only way to do this or will I need to cut and solder spice the wires? I am feeling a little overwhelmed as this is the farthest I have been into my bike yet. Thanks for any help!
By the way, I am working on a 2010 Limited. Thanks again.

Old 06-13-2011 | 01:26 PM
idontknow
|
Advanced

Got it figured out. Just had to look in a different part of the manual. By the way...my bars just arrived so on I go.

Old 06-13-2011 | 01:50 PM
Chief40al
Road Captain

let us know how it goes, I want to do the same.

Old 06-13-2011 | 02:52 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior

I have the HD pullback bars. I installed and internally wired them myself. It was a pain but not too bad. Make sure you draw a picture of what color wires came out of what hole so you can get them in the right place when you put them back together. It'll sure look a lot better than that wiring harness cable wrapped to the handlebar.

Old 06-13-2011 | 03:01 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by smithbrl
Make sure you draw a picture of what color wires came out of what hole so you can get them in the right place when you put them back together..
And consult the manual... Also, you can compare the other end of the plug and make sure the wires match up. I made the mistake of not triple checking when I did mine. Went to start the bike and it lurched forward, and fell over. No damage, but what a bitch having to take the tank off again, undo all those wires and reassmble again.

Good luck...

Old 06-13-2011 | 03:08 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member

I drew up a chart. The number on the plug and the color wire that went into it. I checked it 3 times before I took the plug off. Piece of cake!!

Old 06-13-2011 | 03:25 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

The wires are different colors on the different ends of the plugs too. Pay attention...

Old 06-13-2011 | 05:10 PM
idontknow
|
Advanced

Well I got the left side wires all into the bar and it appears that they are going to come up short so I will be ordering some wire extensions. It has been quite a job but it is turning out bitchin'. I will keep you updated. Thanks for listening to the likes of me.

Old 06-15-2011 | 10:01 AM
Loser1
Advanced

Wires should work. (Just installed WO577s/12.5") They just need to be re-routed in the fairing under the radio. IIRC they are ziped tied on brackets and if you remove the zip ties it will allow for a couple of extra inches.

Hope that helps,

Mike

Old 06-15-2011 | 10:21 AM
dhincc
Road Master

Originally Posted by Loser1
Wires should work. (Just installed WO577s/12.5") They just need to be re-routed in the fairing under the radio. IIRC they are ziped tied on brackets and if you remove the zip ties it will allow for a couple of extra inches.

Hope that helps,

Mike
The WO577's are the bars I'm looking at purchasing, but I can't seem to get a straight answer out of any dealers as far as cable lenghts or wire extensions goes. If you don't mind my asking, what is needed? I now understand the wires can be re-routed, what about the cables?

Thanks for your help and I didn't intend to hijack the thread.

Ride safe!

Last edited by dhincc; 06-15-2011 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Handlebar install