Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn drip

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Redleg by God!
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Damn drip

I ride an '09 Street Glide and after the 1,000 mile service it developed a drip. One drip only but it happens everytime I shut down in the garage. Levels stay good on the fluids and the bike runs great. The little spots drive the wife crazy and I have not been able to find it.

Based on the color I believe it is oil (I use redline in the tranny).

Any advice on where to look would be appreciated.

I do my own services and yes, I have a manual.

Thanks!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:48 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

What area of the bike is the drip coming from? There has been a lot of discussion about the 2 lower transmission bolts that also hold the exhaust coming loose.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:14 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd check the drain plugs. Probably a leaky o-ring. No big deal.

I found my dealer overfilled my bike with oil on the 1k (last dealer service I ever did) and oil was being pushed out the breathers in to the air cleaner. But that dripped on to the motor, not the floor...

Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm thinking there's oil uder the engine from removing the filter, we all know how sloppy that can be. I would make sure to clean around the filter area on back and down with something like S100 so you can spay it and let it run wherever the oil may have run, rinse and let dry before putting her back into the garage. Then check the filter tightness, drain plug o-rings and primary gasket for any oil. If all's good with them I would check the oil swith area and the shifter lever area, they both have been known to leak at the seal.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:32 AM
patsfan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the drip is under your filter area considering you just did an oil change, its likely spilled oil on the frame. It will stop eventually.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Redleg by God!
Cruiser

Thanks guys. I should have mentioned that I just did the 15K service and the leak has been going on for the past 14K miles. I will check around the seals and oil switch again. I clean under the motor with brake cleaner pretty thoroughly and just replaced all of the o rings, so it is probably leaking at a seal.

Doesn't bother me too much but the wife is a neat freak.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Redleg by God!
Cruiser

Originally Posted by KCFLHTC
What area of the bike is the drip coming from? There has been a lot of discussion about the 2 lower transmission bolts that also hold the exhaust coming loose.

Thanks! I will check these bolts.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:54 AM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redleg by God!
I ride an '09 Street Glide and after the 1,000 mile service it developed a drip. One drip only but it happens everytime I shut down in the garage. Levels stay good on the fluids and the bike runs great. The little spots drive the wife crazy and I have not been able to find it.

Based on the color I believe it is oil (I use redline in the tranny).

Any advice on where to look would be appreciated.

I do my own services and yes, I have a manual.

Thanks!
I had pretty much the same thing on my '09Street Glide. Usually just a single drop every time I pulled int the garage. When I checked under the bike, however, I found quite a bit of oil. It turned out to be the inner primary seal. It was still under warranty at that time.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:25 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

One thing I forgot to mention, HD has a problem with jugs seeping right thru the jug itself. I had that problem on an '08 Super Glide. Seems the jugs are "pourous" and you can see a drop of oil here and there for no reason, and no matter how hard you look at the jug it appears fine. HD replaced my jug in 3 hrs. and never had a problem again.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:29 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Feel the bottom of the air filter with your finger. If you fell oil, your drip is as a result of slightly overfilled oil which gets sucked into the intake thru the case vent lines that route into the intake. There's also two o rings for the main intake mount bolts which sometimes seep oil. Make sure these were installed with lock tight

Quick Reply: Damn drip