Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Oil Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 03:19 PM
scooby doo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Intermittent Oil Light

The other day I was out and caught in the rain. I noticed the oil light was flickering intermittently but not staying on. I came home and the next day changed oil and filter (needed it anyways) and swaped out my oil pressure switch with my brothers. THe light didn't come on again right away but after warming up it started again. The longer I rode the stronger it seemed to try and come on when finally it would stay. Oil pressure gauge is fine and bike sounds normal.

What I did notice was if I accerlerated the light disappeared, as it rev'd down or I kept it at a constant the light would come back on. I stopped riding and got it home but I'm lost now.

Changed oil and filter
swaped out oil pressure switch with brothers and it didn't show any issues on his.

Light goes when rev'd.

Help??? Ideas???

Old 06-11-2011, 04:18 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Sounds like an electrical fault. You may have a poor ground for the warning light, or two wires touching, something like that. May also be worth checking your charging, just in case that is below par. This is the sort of thing you will either find easily, or take ages to hunt down! Best of luck.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:32 PM
scooby doo
Tourer

what's got me the most confused is that if I give it throttle the light goes away. As I decel the light comes back.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:02 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the exact same problem with my 05 Ultra. Replaced the oil pressure switch, but still had the problem. I pulled the cam plate and oil pump. When I checked the cam tensioners, they were chewed up pretty bad. I took apart the oil pump, and noticed that the walls of the pump had fine scratches and was causing a loss of pressure.
I went with the SE camplate and highflow oil pump ($429.00) and the problem was solved.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:26 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check all the connections before you start tearing it down. I had one once that would light up bright as could be. But only when it rained. It was a bad connection.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:34 PM
RalphDBS
Cruiser

I would hook up an oil pressure gauge, had the same symptoms and it was the oil

Old 06-11-2011, 06:37 PM
scooby doo
Tourer

Tried the simple fix of oil and filter change. Then i traded oil switch with brother just in case. I am wondering why now, if it had something to do with getting caught in a bad rain storm.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:42 PM
RalphDBS
Cruiser

I'd still would not rest easy until I proved the oil pressure

Old 06-11-2011, 06:49 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil pressure switch activates both the oil light and pressure guage on touring models. If the light comes on and the psi on the guage is below 30 while running, then it could be the switch. But you say you swapped out the switch and still have the same problem, so it's not the switch. The only terminals that are exposed to rain are at the switch, and after a few days would have dried out.
The easiest way to find the problem is to remove the pressure switch and replace it with a pressure guage. I went to a hardware store and picked up a gauge, fittings and a stainless steel supply line and made my own.