Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

120R swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 04:36 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Myself I really can not stand obnoxious noise for 8 hour trips

But I am thinking about this with quiet baffles

http://www.vanceandhines.com/product...propipeHO.html

Good power does not have to be loud

Old 06-12-2011, 04:41 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by leicafish
That's a great expression! I've owned Harleys since the mid-70s, so have seen the current madness for noisy bikes develop over the years. A little is just great, but a 120R is the sort of motor that should perform like a stealth fighter - deadly, fast and undetectable! I look forward to the day when the US exhaust industry provides the world with quieter but effective aftermarket systems.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
From what I learned from my investigation, you are going to need a custom fitted set of ear plugs. For the 120R to perform, it is going to be loud. As I ride mostly touring the loud engine noise was not something I was willing to accept.
Actually with my pro pipe hi output the noise is quite a bit behind me on my Street Bob. I keep thinking I should maybe wear some ear plugs but then keep forgetting so I guess I don't find it too offensive. If a passenger was on board, it would probably bother them but then so would the D&D Boss Fatcat on my Street Glide over time.
Originally Posted by leicafish
Myself I really can not stand obnoxious noise for 8 hour trips

But I am thinking about this with quiet baffles

http://www.vanceandhines.com/product...propipeHO.html

I can vouch that the VH Pro Pipe Hi-output does produce results, but can also tell you on the SE 120R it is far from quiet. As you go for the quieter baffle, I am guessing you will give up some horsepower or torque somewhere? I know that when they played with the baffle on my bike trying to massage the torque dip that occues at about 2600, anything they did to the baffle to alter the back pressure effected the over all horsepower and torque numbers.

The longer I ride the bike the less I notice the noise so it must wear on ya or my hearing might be getting "adjusted" a little over time.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:33 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Inspector 12
The longer I ride the bike the less I notice the noise so it must wear on ya or my hearing might be getting "adjusted" a little over time.
We should ALL wear hearing protection, when riding any distance. Nothing to do with loud pipes, but noise in general. I've been wearing ear plugs since the 70s, when we were first alerted to the noise levels we can suffer, which can reach 115dB, around which hearing loss can occur.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:12 AM
Pink
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As RoadHawg says...let a pro do the tuning.....just put the 120R in my 2010 Roadie..11 hours labor, 58MM throttle body and air cleaner, hi-flow injectors and the SE tuner...the 120 comes with 266 cams (great for touring) and are quite sufficient...enjoy it.. and the pulling power is unbelievable out of the crate..only have 500 miles on it and its getting stronger every day...will be going in at 1000 miles and they will be doing a dyno check and final tune for me...and it is getting crazy mileage as well...app 45/gal..and havent been that easy on her..breakin is usually harder on the mileage as well...anyway will be back with any more news as we go along..Note...also added the AIM Clutch..what a grabber....

Attached Thumbnails 120R swap-new-bike1.jpg  
Old 06-15-2011, 04:16 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

roller rockers and the beefer rocker mounts can't hurt but not absolutely needed.
Chrome Inner Primary while you have it off
Chrome Bolts While you have them out
Chrome upper support

just suggestions, but not needed