Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any special parts needed to switch to cast touring wheels on an RKC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 05:05 AM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any special parts needed to switch to cast touring wheels on an RKC?

I have a 2010 Road King Classic and it has the spoke wheels with wide whites. I like the touring cast wheels because they use tubeless tires, and I feel those are better for being able to plug them if you get a flat on the road.

Anyway, I bought a nice set of cast wheels that came off a 2009 tourer. They are ABS wheels, which matches my RKC (also ABS). Do I need any special parts to mount them up to the RKC? The wheels I bought don't have brake rotors. My plan is to get new tires mounted, swap over the brake rotors and put them on the bike with the original axles and wheel spacers that come off the bike when I take off the spoke wheels. Is this going to work without buying any other parts?

Old 06-11-2011, 05:29 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Buy new brake rotor bolts for the fronts. You can reuse the rears up to three times, but you are supposed to change the front bolts every time they come off.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:49 AM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. I'll be sure to get new front bolts. Will my plan work otherwise? Spacers, etc the same?

Old 06-11-2011, 06:41 AM
ctmedic
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Dawg said replace those front rotor bolts. All the other parts will fit spacers, axles and so on. MAKE SURE you TOUQUE to spec. Nothing worse then losing a rotor bolt or even a pully bolt.

Myself having had a Front wheel bearing failure at 20K, I would definatly change out the from and rear wheel bearings before you mount. (Cheap insurance)

Make sure you "Never Seize" the axle before you install to ensure it comes out the next time.

While I loved my spoked wheels. I hated the maintnance and tubes on long rides. I replaced them this spring with Street Glide Wheels.