Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PC Racing Re-Useable Oil Filters ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hdstreetglide08
For $13 I'm not reusing anything related to fluids in the engine.
I agree, I have a warranty so only Harley filters on my bike. And amost 40,000 miles to break even..no thanks

Old 06-17-2011, 12:34 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we used these on aircrafts. We have the stacked wafer elements. problem we run into is over time, gaps form between the wafers and allows oil pass thru with out being filtered. so we swtiched back to paper elements.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:46 PM
harleypr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iwillfixthem4u
I agree, I have a warranty so only Harley filters on my bike. And amost 40,000 miles to break even..no thanks
I guess I better change back to the Harley 360 oil that came in my bike from the factory. My Spectro Platinum Synthetic 20-50 will void my warranty. Better get rid of my Spectro 6 speed oil, it's no good either. I won't even mention that I use Spectro Heavy duty primary oil.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:54 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by troop
I could post this in the oil section but touring gets ton more looks. Anyone here using the PC Racing re-useable oil filter? It looks similar to the K&P type. I can get one thru my bro-in-law for about $80 and thinking about giving it a try. Input appreciated, Thanks
http://pcracingusa.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=169
Yes, I use it, and it is a superior product in every way. It filters more thoroughly, flows oil more easily, pulls out particles with a magnet, has an integral hex head for a socket (as does the K & N), and cools the oil somewhat by its finned design. And yes, it looks real cool also. True, it was close to $100 bucks, but my Amzoil is not cheap either. I believe that my catless head pipes and the oil cooler has done much to soothe my Twin Cam.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by troop
Aw hell, I decided to give it a try. I'm not concerned about the micron ratings as industry standards are very vague. What intrigues me the most is the higher flow ability of the filter. I'll get it installed next week and will report back about the ease (or not) of cleaning it at oil changes...
It flows better because it's less restrictive because it's not filtering as well. For 13 bucks for a throw away and peace of mind

Old 10-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
Yes, I use it, and it is a superior product in every way. It filters more thoroughly, flows oil more easily, pulls out particles with a magnet, has an integral hex head for a socket (as does the K & N), and cools the oil somewhat by its finned design. And yes, it looks real cool also. True, it was close to $100
bucks, but my Amzoil is not cheap either. I believe that my catless head pipes and the oil cooler has done much to soothe my Twin Cam.
35 microns as compared to 8 microns for paper. Sorry. It doesn't filter better. And the magnet is irrelevant. Silica isn't magnetic and that's what does the most damage in your engine.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:27 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

I just paid $16 bucks for the chrome HD filter. I'd be interested in the re-useable ones but only after they've been proven over time and that means Blackstone reports to use as a comparison. Being "ensured" by the marketing folks at K&P isn't really what I would consider "assuring".

Old 10-25-2011, 07:58 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
It flows better because it's less restrictive because it's not filtering as well. For 13 bucks for a throw away and peace of mind
Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
35 microns as compared to 8 microns for paper. Sorry. It doesn't filter better. And the magnet is irrelevant. Silica isn't magnetic and that's what does the most damage in your engine.
Please read up on absolute filtering as opposed to average filtering. There is a wealth of information on the subject, and it is an interesting read.

First of all, it does not flow better because it filters less. This is a common misconception that I once also held, so in no way am I pointing a finger.

Second, 35 microns can in fact be a better filter than 8 microns due to the consistency of filtration. Don't be offended, I am not a gear head and did not understand this either. However, to some degree I do now.

Please check it out, not only from this manufacturer, but others as well.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:30 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I want one for my cars, lawn mower, refrigerator, and computer.

Most people dont own their bikes long enough to even worry about microns and silica.

and guess what? when it blows up, its an excuse to rebuild it BIGGER!