Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Dealer Bullshite???

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

You don't even have to get them from a Harley dealer to get the tires stamped with "Harley-Davidson" on them.
I buy my tires from Motorcycle Super Store: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

Here's an example: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

Last week I ordered it on Tuesday and recieved the tire on Thursday then my dealer installed it on Friday.
You'll have to check with your local dealer if they will mount and ballance a tire you bring in.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I posted this a few days ago but I had Visalia Harley (they are in south of Fresno, CA) install both front and back Dunlop with the HD sig on the tires. Out the door, installed, tax, license, etc. $ 265.00. I don't think anyone is going to beat that deal. Here is their web page write up; ( ps; I added some stuff so my bill was $ 335.00 but the tire deal was as listed below)

Dunlop & Michelin Tires for Harley-Davidson O.E.M. fitment.

$99.95* any front tire
$119.95* any rear tire
$42.50 Labor - Front OR Rear - No extra charges for saddlebags, or axle covers etc.

*When installed at Visalia Harley-Davidson by our Factory Certified Master Technicians. Additional parts may be required. Tax, and disposal fees not included. These are NOT blemish or cosmetic reject tires. Prices are good for ALL stock fitments, and tire styles. Including factory wide tire fitments, whitewalls etc.

Call Service at 559-733-4647
Offer ends soon! If you need tires for the summer season, GET THEM DONE NOW!

http://www.visaliaharley.com/

Old 06-09-2011, 04:11 PM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoethree
Appreciate the comments so far, especially KCFLHTC's. I forgot to add that the Tech told me "we get them from a local distributor' when I asked him if they were the Dunlops from Harley Davidson. I know I can get the Dunlops I need online but they wont be stamped Harley Davidson and those online sources (jakewilson; etc) dont/cant offer the Harley logo-ed tires. I wonder if the Dealer is buying Dunlops from some where other than Harley and passing them off as "oem" tires??? And, like most Harley dealers, this one will not install tires bought elsewhere.
I have considered the American Elites but cant seem to find an 18 inch front tire, only 17.
You're right about the 18 inch fronts. I just checked the Dunlop 2011 tire guide and it says that other sizes will be "available in 2011". Guess they mean later in 2011....

Just out of curiosity, is there a manufacturing difference that makes you prefer the HD stamped tire over something like the American Elites (assuming they had your size)? Not trying to be a smart-*** here just trying to learn.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master

So what if they don't have HD stamped on them. The MoCo does not make tires. They just have their logo stamped on them. Do you really think they are better with the logo? You can get better tires than the original Dunflops. Buy some from an independent source then get your local Indy shop to mount them.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Rich67
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mr HOG
So what if they don't have HD stamped on them. The MoCo does not make tires. They just have their logo stamped on them. Do you really think they are better with the logo? You can get better tires than the original Dunflops. Buy some from an independent source then get your local Indy shop to mount them.
Yeh. I'm sure He thinks there better with the logo!!!!!!! It's what he wants simple as that.

Last edited by Rich67; 06-09-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:14 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

This just keeps getting better. I called another nearby Dealer and asked for a tire quote for a 2010 FLHX StreetGlide, front and rear tires. This Dealer rep says I need a Dunlop D408F 17 inch tire on the front and a D408 16 inch on the rear. And yes, his tires are Dunlop OEM with Harley Davidson lettered on the sidewall, just like what comes from the factory. I again point out that my StreetGlide is a 2010 and it has a D408F 18 inch front tire on it. He then asks me if I have a CVO model. I said no, just a plain ole basic StreetGlide. Well then your bike takes a 17 inch front tire. Duh! Hang on he says,, well then a different rep comes on the line and guess what no problem they have the tire and size I need....a D408F in an 18 inch. The new surprise I get is that I am told that the D407 rear is now GONE and is replaced with a D408. That is news to me but makes sense as there is a "408" on the front and why shouldnt/wouldnt they match?

Old 06-09-2011, 06:17 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

What do you mean....the MOCO don't make tires?I heard they had a rubber factory out back of their oil refinery.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:26 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

TexasFat, they dont offer the D408F or D407.
Rich67, thank you.
MrHog, gfy
VTGlideRider, would love to try the new American Elite but not yet available in an 18 incher
TerraBella, that is a helluva deal but you live in California and pay more for everything else

thanks all

Old 06-09-2011, 06:28 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

dans, I think thats for the condom division

Old 06-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

The Dunlop Harley embeded shield logo tire runs about 40 bucks more for those little logos. I just put an American elite on the front by Dunlop. IMO better than that stocker.

Quick Reply: More Dealer Bullshite???