Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounted GPS to the inner fairing

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:37 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Mounted GPS to the inner fairing

I've had my GPS mounted to my handlebars with a RAM mount and plugged into the lighter socket. The clutter really bothered me; so I decided to mount it on the fairing.

To do it I purchased a threaded RAM ball, short 1.75" arm, and a power cable to hard wire it from www.mountguys.com. There are accessory plugs off the headlight wire so all I had to do was add a couple of spade terminals to the lead wires from the GPS cable. I already had the RAM cradle. I drilled a 1/4 hole in the upper part of the fairing and ran the hard wired cable through the clutch cable hole. Nice and clean. The only issue I have is it vibrates a little at speed, not bad but I wish it was better. I never considered that it would do that since its always been perfect on the handle bar and at idle its perfect. You'd figure if it's okay at idle then moving wouldn't be an issue. Anyway; to quote Billy Crystal as "Fernando": It's always better to look good than feel good, I always say"

Attached Thumbnails Mounted GPS to the inner fairing-gps-hole-from-inside.jpg   Mounted GPS to the inner fairing-gps-hole-outside.jpg   Mounted GPS to the inner fairing-gps-complete-right.jpg  
Old 06-09-2011, 11:44 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

And it does look good. Very clean looking.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 06-09-2011, 11:55 AM
kjelders
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same thing. I have a Garmin Nuvi 765t instead of using my IPhone now.
Mounted GPS to the inner fairing-ram_apple_mount_004.jpgMounted GPS to the inner fairing-ram_apple_mount_003.jpg

Old 06-09-2011, 11:57 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by kjelders
I did the same thing. I have a Garmin Nuvi 765t instead of using my IPhone now.
Attachment 190494Attachment 190495
That looks good. I noticed that you used the two hole plate to mount yours. Do you get any vibration?

Old 06-09-2011, 12:56 PM
kjelders
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at idle....which I would expect being the "nature of the beast"

Old 06-09-2011, 03:50 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by kjelders
at idle....which I would expect being the "nature of the beast"
Interesting; mine is perfect at idle but vibrates a bit while moving. Maybe I'll use the double screw mount that you did and see if it works better.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:58 PM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

At one time I was considering locating mine on the dash but was concerned that it might possibly crack the dash due to the rough Ideal and the vibrations...Although there has been several cases where members have located in on the inner fairing and hasn't had any ill effects as of yet...

So I got to thinking...
I didn't like the way it mounted to my handle bars and left the ring from the U bolt endented in it and didn't feel the factory mount that was supplied with my Zumo was the look bolted to the perches clamps I was seeking when the GPS was off, so I pursued other options and came up with this...

I have 1 1/4 dia. PYO monkey Bars by the way

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...gps-mount.html

I don't run my GPS all the time and wanted a cleaner look when it was off the bike as well as when it was on the bike and came up with something I personally thought fit what I was after and didn't have to drill into the dash...

Old 06-09-2011, 05:12 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by TexasBowhunter
At one time I was considering locating mine on the dash but was concerned that it might possibly crack the dash due to the rough Ideal and the vibrations...Although there has been several cases where members have located in on the inner fairing and hasn't had any ill effects as of yet...

So I got to thinking...
I didn't like the way it mounted to my handle bars and left the ring from the U bolt endented in it and didn't feel the factory mount that was supplied with my Zumo was the look bolted to the perches clamps I was seeking when the GPS was off, so I pursued other options and came up with this...

I have 1 1/4 dia. PYO monkey Bars by the way

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...gps-mount.html

I don't run my GPS all the time and wanted a cleaner look when it was off the bike as well as when it was on the bike and came up with something I personally thought fit what I was after and didn't have to drill into the dash...
I usually keep mine on the bike so I'm not too worried about when I don't have it but I really like your solution and probably should have gone that route. I had a hard time deciding to drill into the fairing.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Coach1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom Tom & Velcro.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:47 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coach1
Tom Tom & Velcro.

I can deal with the Velcro, but this Tom Tom is pissing me off. It won't allow me to upload routes, and it's driving me nuts. I'm about to pitch it and get a Nuvi or something.

Quick Reply: Mounted GPS to the inner fairing