Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help removing detachable tourpack

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:46 AM
garcon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help removing detachable tourpack

Brought a used 03 Electraglide Classic. Has a detachable tour pack, but can't seem to remove the tour pack. I need to get to the seat bolt (bolt seems to be an allen head, but can't get an allen wrench in the head bolt) The tour pack has a plastic slide clip on each side. I slide the clip up, it appears to be open, but the tour pack doesn't move. What am I missing, can anyone give me instructions on removing the tourpack? Also, anyone no what size allen the seat bolt in the rear is? I want to get to the battery to check the ground wire for the radio. Thanks

Old 06-09-2011, 09:13 AM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 736 Likes on 275 Posts

If you just need to get the seat off, open the tourpack and use a ball end allen socket on an extension. Opening the lid gives better access.

I have a long phillips screwdriver I use to access my seat screw, there's no need to remove the TP.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:46 AM
garcon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:57 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

When you pull the spring loaded locking mechanism can you tilt your tour pack up? or is the seat in the way?

Try getting it from above with the lid open, if that doesn't work, try cutting an allen key low enough to reach under the pack. once you get it off, try moving the tour pack pack to the furthest back position, it will make it easier to get to the bolt from the top and will give you passenger more seating room. you can also do what I did:

I have road zeppelin seat with no room to get to the seat screw, and the pack cannot tilt forward to release the front part of the mount.. I replaced the seat bolt with a hex head bolt, now I can get a ratcheting wrench in there to remove the seat bolt.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:59 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To remove tour pack unlatch the black latches on either side and simply lift up on the rear. It will hinge forward on the front dockin points. Then just pull back and it'll be in your hands. All this is assuming speakers and lights haven't been added. Oh wait you have a radio antenna to un plug.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:01 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless it's been changed the seat bolt is a Phillips. Put a little loctite on it when you reinstall they tend to work loose

Old 06-09-2011, 04:19 PM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coolerman69
Unless it's been changed the seat bolt is a Phillips. Put a little loctite on it when you reinstall they tend to work loose
And/Or toss a spare with a lock washer in one of your fairing compartments or saddlebags.

No likeee riding with a loose seat.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:29 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

getting to the seat bolt can be a pain, I replaced the stock one with a thumb screw and it worked find and did not ever loosen while riding. I believe it's a 1/4 X 20 thread size. Getting the tour pak off with a quick detach should be no problem, push black levers forward and seat should lift off. Some say they reinstalled by themselves, I could never master as i was always afraid of scatching paint, etc. If its classic, just unscrew radio antenna plug, and unhook tourpak lights at quick disconnect.