Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl Wraps on Touring Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 10:33 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 72,220 Likes on 21,819 Posts

No I ain't overly sensitive about what I bought.
I do like the ghost flames look as I think that they do not over exagerate the paint job but add to it.
The guy that makes these kits "decals" states that they will last at least 7 years if taken care of properly.

I am some what hesitant on putting them on though as I said, based on several things.

If the surface was relativley flat it would be easier and more predictable.
For example, I have a 3M line type of decal on one of my vehicles that has been there for right at 20 years and still is holding on and still looks good.

With a bike though with all of the curves on the metal and plastic, it may be a crap shoot. It may work and hold on well and may not.

I would like to have the ghost flames painted on too, but probably I would guess at least $1 K for the ghost flames would be a realistic price for the paint, but then again maybe not.
Maybe some pin striper/painters could chime in about what ghost flames in the pics that I showed would cost?

Old 06-11-2011, 11:35 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THere's a builder here near Pittsburgh, I think his name is Clay, he has done wraps and in my opinion they have ruined his bikes. They simply look like crap. And this guy is a professional builder.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:19 PM
gaber6
Cruiser

The flame decals don't look bad at all in the photos, and even with the edges being raised wouldn't differ much from the edges of actual paint on pinstripes being raised. If you can put them on nice, I say go for it.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:27 AM
gsigley
Intermediate

Do you know where these decals were purchased? I am having trouble finding them online. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Snead
Intermediate

The flame decals look alright to me. Pinstripes on new bikes are just decals aren't they?

Old 02-19-2013, 11:04 AM
BSH13
Intermediate

Those decals above look good to me.. you pays your money you makes your choice as they say.. I'm going to put a flat black wrap on my 2008 Roadster to see how it goes.. for around 100 euro I'll do the lot.. it'll keep the paint good, and when I'm feeling rich maybe I'll get it painted some time later.. maybe next winter.. will stick some pix of the bike up when I'm done so I can get your feedback.. take 'er easy folks

Old 02-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Proaction14
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry but Im calling BS. Yes I actually have taken wraps off, many times, on trucks and trailers. There is NO residue left over. Sometimes adhesive is added on an edge if it needs some extra hold or if its obvious it may need some extra grip because of an angle, or a finish, etc, but normally nothing is needed other than a clean surface, new vinyl and an experienced vinyl wrapper. On a properly installed wrap, you can peel a whole sheet off a truck or trailer with your bare hand after 4 to 5 years, no heat gun or anything needed, paint is like new underneath. Any "reputable" shop that does wraps can handle a bagger easy. I have no affiliation to any viny shops, but I do deal with vinyl wraps on our company vehicles. Say what you want, but the vinyl wraps are much cheaper, MUCH more detailed, and much less time and work compared to custom paint with graphics. You get a cheesy design its going to look like a$$. You get a good graphics desiner and it can look incredible.

Originally Posted by Timco
Have you ever tried to take a wrap off? Especially after a couple of years in the sun? I have been to several body shops when they were trying to get them off after a crash. Very labor intense, & some times destroys the paint underneath.

I personally think they look cheap, & I don`t want one on any of my trucks, & especially my bike.
Name:  batwing-2_zps44c2e738.jpg
Views: 6035
Size:  299.3 KB

Name:  batwing-1_zps8d1d63fb.jpg
Views: 6105
Size:  287.8 KB

Old 02-19-2013, 12:02 PM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so i guess all the vette/lambo/Ferrari/audi/bmw guys who get their cars wrapped are ricers?

vette in a wrap..
Name:  Lashway2.jpg
Views: 4247
Size:  175.0 KB

Attached Thumbnails Vinyl Wraps on Touring Bikes?-lashway2.jpg  
Old 02-19-2013, 12:58 PM
rockajet1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hells Foundry

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Buddy has these and they look nice.
http://www.hellsfoundry.com/flhx-striping-main.htm

I went with 3M clear, will have a pro install next time, looks good but think a pro could have made it better.
Does anyone else have any long term (or otherwise) experience with the Hells Foundry stripes?

Old 02-19-2013, 06:43 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the pinstripe flame lines in the previous pics. Just something to break up all that 1 color

Quick Reply: Vinyl Wraps on Touring Bikes?