Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed amp-now speakers wont work

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Beans HD
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed amp-now speakers wont work

Hello all. I have an elf 2125 amp with wiring harness and J&M 7 1/2 speakers on my street glide. At times the speakers sound pretty darn good. Then all the sudden the sound stops. Sometime with a slight pop sound. The radio stays on but no sound. I have to turn the radio off and back on and they start working again until the next time they stop. Sometimes this happens every 5 to 10 miutes and others hourly.
To trouble shoot it I checked all conections and it still happens. Now I figure the best thing to do is remove it and put everthing back to normal to see if it does it without the amp. ( Make sure its not the radio) I have disconnected the amp and put the factory speaker wires back on the speakers and I get no sound. I cannot find the install directions so here I am looking for help.

Thanks
Rob

Last edited by Beans HD; 06-08-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

On the first page of this Touring forum, there is a section identified as "stickys." Open the one for self-diagnostics of the Harman Kardon head unit and try the diagnostics provided there.

Carl

Old 06-08-2011, 07:40 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

The radio is going into "protection" mode. This happens when a speaker wire gets shorted to either ground or the other speaker wire. My guess is you have a bad speaker. That will also cause the amp to go into protection mode and quit playing..

Disconnect both speakers and one at a time, plug a speaker back up and turn on the radio. If neither one makes the radio play, take a known good speaker and try it.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Beans HD
6th Gear

Vickers1
If the radio is going into protection mode when I turn it off and back on does that meen I am resetting it? I ask this because it starts working again. And sometimes it works for some time without shuting off.
I also dont understand why when I unplug the wires coming from the amp and hook the speakers straight to the radio it does not work. It comes on when I hook the amp up till it shuts down.
Sorry if I am confusing you all. I know I am confused.

By the way I will hook the amp back up and run the diagnostics tomorrow.

Thanks
Rob

Old 06-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Beans HD
6th Gear

Oh and to add to the above post. I did pull out a factory speaker that I had replaced and hooked it up and it did not work either.
I don't know anything about audio but it seems weird that the J & M's may be shorting but sound good two minutes later.

Rob

Old 06-08-2011, 09:52 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Beans HD
Oh and to add to the above post. I did pull out a factory speaker that I had replaced and hooked it up and it did not work either.
I don't know anything about audio but it seems weird that the J & M's may be shorting but sound good two minutes later.

Rob
When you hooked up the speaker you had replaced, had you unhooked the other speaker before you tried it? If not, the other speaker may be the culprit or maybe both. That's why you have to try it by its self.

I would leave the amp off until you get the problem worked out. It'll just be another piece in the puzzle adding to the confusion. Speakers can short internally and intermittently making it difficult to find the problem. That's why I say completely take them out of the loop and take 1 known good speaker and test only with that.

Yes, when you turn the radio off and then back on, it resets itself and will shut down audio again when it detects a short. Trace all your speaker wires and make sure none has gotten nicked and shorted to ground.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:32 AM
Beans HD
6th Gear

I did unhook all speakers and the amp. Then hooked up a good speaker and nothing worked. I will need to shut the radio off and turn it back on and reset it. I am also going to do that diagnostics thing posted in the sticky section. Thanks. I hope I can track it down.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:06 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior

Well you've definitely got a radio problem. Here's something I saw on another post. Won't hurt to try it:

Mine did exactly the same...BUT...the problem was a loose connection with the under seat engine management module. Vibration caused an itty bitty movement every now & then, but spiked the radio electronics sufficient to cause internal shutdown.

Try pulling the module, cleaning very carefully & wiping silicone grease on the contact area before refitting.

Worked for me.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Beans HD
6th Gear

Thanks for all that are helping me out. The first code that pops up is Front Right Open. I called Iron Cross Audio and spoke with a guy at great length. After explaining everthing that is going on. He seems to think that the the board in the radio is cracked. At times it is allowing it to work and other times it does not allow it to work. I can't say enough about Iron Cross Audio. The guy was great at explaining to me what he thinks is going on. He really took his time with me. Anyone else had this problem?
Rob

Old 06-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Rob, if you want others to see your question, start a new thread and ask it in the title in a short form, and expand on the question and describe your symptoms in the body of the new thread/post.

Also, add the year of your SG in the body of the post or, better, put it in a signature.

Tony at ICA is extremely knowledgeable and ICA does a lot of repair work for HD dealers, as well as optional work described on their website.

A couple of things you can check: is a fairing bracket broken and are the riser bolts hitting the bottom of the HK radio. Both are common problems causing excess vibration that damages the circuit board. HD has recently redesigned the fairing brackets to make them less susceptible to breakage, and uses riser bolts with a shorter head to avoid contact with the HK radio's chassis.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 06-09-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Removed amp-now speakers wont work