Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magneti Marelli headaches

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:23 AM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magneti Marelli headaches

So here is the latest.

Dyno tuning in Omaha runs from $240 to $300. One shop said $75 an hour for 5 hours. All shops said that they have had no luck with the MM system. They can get them close but not perfect. Should I spend the money for a "chance" at getting it tuned right or save that $300 and apply it to a Cobra powrpro fi2000 that doesnt need maps OR spend the $1400 and get a Zippers MM conversion kit? Id really hate to dump $300 and find out its no better off.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:42 PM
sinisterbluehd
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too own a HD with the MM system. The first problems with these systems is the Cicuit breaker. I don't know what model your bike is, but there is a recall that began 2004 on these cicuit breakers. As for Dynotuning the MM system, don't waste the money. You can get a Thundermax or similiar brand and get rid of that headache forever. Not to mention, they tune while you ride so you NEVER have to go back to the money gobbling Dyno Tuner. My 2 cents. By the way, my MM system has blown 4 total Power Commander III USB's due to the stupid MM system. Thank goodness Dynojet stands behind their product.HD sure as hell won't. I'm saving for the Thundermax system. Good Luck.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:50 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 853 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by slyder
So here is the latest.

Dyno tuning in Omaha runs from $240 to $300. One shop said $75 an hour for 5 hours. All shops said that they have had no luck with the MM system. They can get them close but not perfect. Should I spend the money for a "chance" at getting it tuned right or save that $300 and apply it to a Cobra powrpro fi2000 that doesnt need maps OR spend the $1400 and get a Zippers MM conversion kit? Id really hate to dump $300 and find out its no better off.
What exactly are your needs/wants?
Are you a racer? Do you seek max. performance?
or do you have pipes and air cleaner and just need some fuel management.
Reason: there are a few piggy back systems that will get you more fuel and could be installed yourself BUT the piggy back systems will not correct other problems if they exist. if you have other problems you may wish to consider solving those first.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:07 PM
sinisterbluehd
Novice
Thumbs up

That is good advice, especially on the older systems with the MM ECU. The Circuit Breaker I mentioned is just one of the problems with the old system. Find a good mechanic who has experience with the MM set-up.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:22 PM
xkvator
Tourer

this man can help you...

give him a call...

http://www.docsperformancetuning.com/index.html

Old 06-08-2011, 04:47 PM
slyder
Road Master

Originally Posted by im
What exactly are your needs/wants?
Are you a racer? Do you seek max. performance?
or do you have pipes and air cleaner and just need some fuel management.
Reason: there are a few piggy back systems that will get you more fuel and could be installed yourself BUT the piggy back systems will not correct other problems if they exist. if you have other problems you may wish to consider solving those first.
Yeah I already have a PCIII but I cant find a map to match my set up. Im finding out more about this used bike as the days go by. He installed high flow injectors, flowed induction module, ECM downloads......all things I wasnt told a few years ago. Basically nobody will email me a map because there is no way of knowing what mods have been done. Thats why I need the dyno but none of the tuners have faith they can make a MM system run decent. Most of them told me flat out that they have had no luck tuning this system.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:55 PM
slyder
Road Master

Originally Posted by sinisterbluehd
I too own a HD with the MM system. The first problems with these systems is the Cicuit breaker. I don't know what model your bike is, but there is a recall that began 2004 on these cicuit breakers. As for Dynotuning the MM system, don't waste the money. You can get a Thundermax or similiar brand and get rid of that headache forever. Not to mention, they tune while you ride so you NEVER have to go back to the money gobbling Dyno Tuner. My 2 cents. By the way, my MM system has blown 4 total Power Commander III USB's due to the stupid MM system. Thank goodness Dynojet stands behind their product.HD sure as hell won't. I'm saving for the Thundermax system. Good Luck.
what circuit breaker are you talking about? My bike is a 99 FLHRCI that I got second hand in 06. Not 100% sure what the original owner had done to it. It was a theft recovery bike an I delt with the insurance company not the owner. I rode it a couple years with no problems after adding the PCIII , true duals and Rush Mufflers. Now with the Pro Pipe, 21N cams this thing did a 180. I found a company that makes a new SINGLE bore induction module for the MM that uses all the stock MM parts that claims to solve the problems for $900. But if im spending that much I may as well spend $1800 for the Zippers delphi kit with auto tune.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by sinisterbluehd
Circuit breaker???? Oh PLEASE enlighten me!!!!!

After a big bore & gear drive upgrade, it's given me fits!!

Had a good reputable tuner from my area keep it a MONTH, and put 500 miles on it. Couldn't get it to repeat a problem I've got with mine.

Sometimes as you roll on the throttle it'll just "load up." Seems to be when it's under a load (steep hill / 70mph+ roll on etc...)

She runs like a beast mostly... then BAM!!!!

When your full loaded with the wife on back, pulling out @ 70mph to pass a car and this chit starts happening as your even with the door.....well....it gives me the red azz!!!!

I'll have one of these circuit breakers on tomorrow if I find out which one.

My rides amazing 95% of the time. I just need that bullet to fire EVERY TIME I squeeze the trigger.

Other than this issue, I'm very pleased with my build.

Beav

Last edited by Beav; 06-08-2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: change word
Old 06-08-2011, 05:37 PM
slyder
Road Master

Thats the thing i love this bike. Hell its almost a new bike. Over the winter I converted the swingarm over to an 06 model so I have not only a beefier swingarm but the cam adjusters for belt tension. While I was at it I tore into the front end and put Progressive monotubes in. New motor mounts front and rear, new shocks, new tires, ect ect. Ive been through every inch of this bike and know it like the back of my hand. I know exactly what I have and would hate to start over with another unknown used bike. I just want it to run like it should and be reliable. If thats gonna cost me $2000 then so be it.....but it better not ever cost me another dime after I make the switch.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:50 PM
slyder
Road Master

here is a throttlebody I found today

http://www.horsepowerinc.net/Product...e%20Bodies.htm

I may call on it and see what its about. If it still uses stock components it might not be that great but it does ditch the dual bore which is what ive been told is alot of the problem.

here is the Zippers kit

http://www.zippersperformance.com/ca...=869&prod=2101

Last edited by slyder; 06-08-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Magneti Marelli headaches