Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magneti Marelli headaches

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 05:20 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slyder

Got a quote today on a Delphi conversion (closed loop) with all new parts.....$2600!!! So thats a BIG NO!!

I think im going to attempt the dyno tune first. It always ran good before i swapped cams and stuff.....i guess im not looking to break a land speed record here ...I just want it to run decent. If that dont work I guess Im only out $240. Would I love a new bike.......yes but cant swing it right now. Would I love to swap this system out for a delphi...yes but again im just a workin stiff.

A dyno tune will run roughly 9% the cost of the Delphi conversion, or about the cost of taxes on it. Sounds to me like it's plenty worth the money compared to the alternative.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:22 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just talked to Sioux City Power Sports in Sioux City IA and he said he has had good luck with the MM. Sometimes its hit and miss but for the most part hes been able to tune them. $200 to $300 depending on how long it takes. He said usually its only $200.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:42 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ml#post8430324
I posted this site for the Cobra, it was like 460.00, if you get this keep us up on how it does.

Toby

Old 06-09-2011, 07:56 PM
slyder
Road Master

I dont know of too many people that have ran that yet. I made a thread on it and zero people have chimed in. Sounds good in theory though. That is a good price since most other places are well over $500. I think if im going to spend that much on another add on controller I would just get the Zippers kit and swap out the system.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:23 AM
phat96
Road Warrior

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...injection.html

Here's what you need to convert to a carb, rumor is it should cost around $600 or less. Harness is the toughest part from what I hear. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:09 AM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My indie is installing an FI2000 PowerPro Auto tune on an 01 RK today. I'm going to Colorado in a couple of weeks on mine but other owner has said he would keep me updated as to how it does. May remove PCIII and replace it with the Cobra if it works on his bike. We have identical engine builds so that will help me decide.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:36 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a Mikuni and be done with it. I guarantee you will love that bike with a carb on it! I have a 45mm Mikuni on mine and just love it. No maps or anything to fool with and the bike sounds great! Its your cheapest end all fix.. Here is some reading for you. http://www.mikuni.com/fs-carburetor.html

Old 06-11-2011, 11:21 PM
adjusterr
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb conversion

Originally Posted by jazzy jack
Is it possible to convert to carb. If so how hard/expensive?

I ride a 97 Roadking, EFI with the mm system. with 75,000 miles of never running right, acceleration stumble, varying idle speeds, exhaust popping/cracking, poor mileage. Every shop in my area, HD and Independent have tried to tune this machine, with poor results. Three weeks ago I gave in and had an independent shop convert to CV carb. What a difference, I should have converted the day I bought it. Took it on a 1000 mile trip to Knoxville, TN and it never skipped a beat. I know the Mechanic took the fuel pump out of the tank, drilled the two bungs and installed a Pingle petcock, Dyna 2000 I ignition/coil. a used CV carb with Dyna-Jet and some wiring. I dont know what year your bike is but if it is the older MM system don't waste your time and money, go for the carb. I liked the EFI starting but the CV starts every bit as easy. If you need more info, contact me and I'll put you in touch with the shop that did my work...for a helluva lot less than the aftermarket conversions. Good luck.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:30 AM
slyder
Road Master

Its a 99 so its got the good ECM. Its tunable im not giving up hope yet. Ill give this guy a chance to tune it for $200 then if that dont work ill go from there. Like i said it never gave me any problems before I did the mods. My biggest problem is figuring out what the previous owner did to it. If it werent for that anybody could email me a map.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 PM
slyder
Road Master

Made an appointment for the dyno on thursday. Will post numbers if they come through on the tuning for me.

Quick Reply: Magneti Marelli headaches