Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magneti Marelli headaches

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:17 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe you should find a mechanic that knows what the heck he is doing.

They "should" be able to go through your system and tell you exactly what is on your bike. They should also be able to hook it up to a computer without running a dyno.

Once you find out what you have try contacting FuelMoto. They should be able to hook you up. Better to spend a little money to find out what cha got then spend a lot hoping to fix the problem.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:34 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BBStacker
Maybe you should find a mechanic that knows what the heck he is doing.

They "should" be able to go through your system and tell you exactly what is on your bike. They should also be able to hook it up to a computer without running a dyno.

Once you find out what you have try contacting FuelMoto. They should be able to hook you up. Better to spend a little money to find out what cha got then spend a lot hoping to fix the problem.
Tried that sir. All the mechanics in my area tell me the exact same thing "maps will only get you so close" followed by " we have to dyno tune to do it right". Hooking up to a computer wont tell me how much the induction module was flowed or what work was done to the heads ..all that will tell me is what download the ECM got. I tried the Fuel Moto map and it failed horribly because at the time I had no idea the previous owner installed different injectors, done headwork and flowed the throttlebody. So it wasnt their fault. I just couldnt give them the correct info on my bike.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,804 Likes on 3,166 Posts

The circuit breaker recall was in the main wiring harness and had nothing to do with the EFI.
The MM throttle body doesn't flow very well compared to other systems which is great for torque with a big bore, cammed motor with srock heads. ( 95" Stage II for example.) Not so great for HP.

I tried to get HP out of my '98 injected Ultra ( Evo) and wasted alot of time and money, ( should have carbed it if that's where I wanted to go.)

My 2000 95" with stock heads however, has been bulletproof and just turned 90,000 miles this afternoon. Very torquey with the Andrews 26 cams I just installed.

I suspect someone has been trying to get more out of your bike than design will allow.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:04 PM
jazzy jack
Road Captain

Is it possible to convert to carb. If so how hard/expensive?

Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well Stig...that's a bummer. Was hopeful that I'd learned of a possible solution to my problem.

98% of the time everything is great. Don't bang on the bike, but I'll run the interstate 70-85 mph. Awesome (to me) torque, gets me to 80 purty quick.

Not racin' busa's, or trying to be something it isn't. Hell, it's a Harley, not a sport bike.

But when I'm wanting to go around a cage at 70, I've gotta know that when I roll the throttle...she ain't gonna cough and chug.

Engine's been checked, it's healthy. Fuel filter was changed, and pressure is good.

My largest headache is that it's very intermittent.

There's a fly in the pie and it's ruining the flavor!! Gotta get that fly out!!

Beav

Old 06-09-2011, 12:49 PM
sinisterbluehd
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In response to Beav.My ride is a 2000 FLHTCUI with the MM ECU. HD put the Circuit Breaker in front of the Battery on my model. The only thing between it and my rear Header is a 1/8" piece of plate steel frame. The factory CB on the MM system I have was a 40 amp. My electrical system is a 48 amp. The problem I had was the bike was quitting all of a sudden. After it cooled off and I unplugged the PCIII from the MM ECU it ran fine. Except lean due to the Hypercharger I ran. Each time it did this it blew the PCIIIusb. After the second time it blew the Stator! Finally, I contacted HD,and they told me about the recall 0113 & 9113. This affects a shitload of bikes.HD explained like this, when the CB overheats it opens or it may do it several times, which causes electrical spikes throughout the system. All I am saying is if you own a bike with the MM system check the recall I mentioned Beav and you will be Enlightened. Everyone I've spoken with Recommends the Zippers or Thundermax MM replacement. I just wanted you to be aware of the recall.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior

Slyder, because of not knowing your modifications, you're a good customer for a dyno tune. That said, hearing that your local tuners aren't confident about tuning MM setup, I'd be concerned about having them do any work on my bike -a weekend trip to a tuner-who-knows-his-salt out of your area would be worth the trouble. If you're concerned about some of the issues raised above, I wouldn't be. BC Gerolomy can enlarge your throttle bodies for $325 and you'll have a lot of room for big-inch mods, agressive cams, etc. . This ain't rocket science you know, and the MM is a reliable EFI system HD would still be using were it not for the Federally-mandated TBW and closed-loop EFI systems. I've guided mine from stock through Stage IV and continue to enjoy a trouble-free EFI and over 100 HP on 95-inch barrels.

Last edited by Firetender; 06-09-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Sinister!!!

I'll be looking into it shortly.

Didn't have any issues prior to the mods. Thousands of MM's out there with no problems whatsoever...I completly agree!!!! I'm not concerned with all of those, only mine.

Been on the bike 80 miles today... runs like a beast!!! Maybe it's fixed itself...'till next time.

Thanks for the info.

Beav

Old 06-09-2011, 04:48 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was worried as hell, reading all this bad stuff about my MM system. I asked my indy about it and he installed a lot of confidence. He stated that it's no different than any other fuel system, you just have to be patient and know what you're doing.

I'm actually kinda looking forward to having him do a big bore for me over the winter, if I can swing it.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:02 PM
slyder
Road Master

I just called the local Ex HD dealer in my town and they no longer have the equipment to check the ECM to see what download it has. Guess HD took that equipment with them when they yanked their dealership.

I also called Fuel Moto and they said find out whats going on with the ECM and they can make a map no matter whats been done to it.

Got a quote today on a Delphi conversion (closed loop) with all new parts.....$2600!!! So thats a BIG NO!!

I think im going to attempt the dyno tune first. It always ran good before i swapped cams and stuff.....i guess im not looking to break a land speed record here ...I just want it to run decent. If that dont work I guess Im only out $240. Would I love a new bike.......yes but cant swing it right now. Would I love to swap this system out for a delphi...yes but again im just a workin stiff.

Quick Reply: Magneti Marelli headaches