Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with eratic reception Dakota Digital, frustrated !

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011 | 12:02 AM
garcon
|
Cruiser
Default Help with eratic reception Dakota Digital, frustrated !

I have an 03 Electra-glide Classic. Radio was working great with the Dakato Digital Hidden antenne, but recently recption has been eratic. Took off the outer faring and found that if I move the antenna round in certain postions the reception is excellent. Then suddendly, all of a sudden, the reception decreases. Can't find any lose wires and I cleaned the antenna plug and the hole in the radio it goes into. The antenna is grounded through the radio, so a poor ground on the radio could cause poor reception. Where is the ground wire to the radio located? What wire and where is it grounded? Would it be possible to create a new ground for the radio to a frame part with another new wire screwed into the exterior metal frame box of the radio and then screw the other end of the wire into a new hole drilled into the metal frame support of the faring? Is there anyway to test to see if radio is grounded properly. I am a novis at electrical and looking for someway to try and stabilize the reception. It may be something just loose. Once I even noticed that if I touched my mirror mounted to the handlebars the reception decreased and when I removed my hand the reception got a lot better, touch the mirror again and it would decrease. I know this has to be something simple, it did work just great a few days ago this started happening. Really lost at what to examine to try and fix this signal reception problem. When I jiggle the wires around the reception sometime gets great, but then eventually decreases. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-10-2011 | 06:06 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

You can always re-route the ground, I don't know which wire it would be for your 03. Go to the biketronics web site, under support. They have a pin out for my 09, they might have one for you. Or, give them a call and ask. Also the repair manual might have schematics. The problem could be internal to the radio, they vibrate a lot and develop system board problems among other things. Good luck.