Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys want to laugh?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 02:15 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: You guys want to laugh?

Laws of Thermodynamics state: You can't get something for nuttin'. You may break even. But, you never do. All else is flim-flam.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:38 AM
DeathWind
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading the post there and here I thought of a couple questions:

1. In the next five years how many of them will have traded their softail for a touring model?

I bought a Road Glide with intentions of keeping my 2001 Dyna Super Glide as the crappy weather work ride. After enjoying it for 4.5 years, I sold it after a month of owning and riding the RG.

2. How many of those softails have bags on them because, subconsciously, they envy the room of a bagger’s saddlebags?

It may say Hertage Softail Classic, but it screams bagger with its windshield and saddlebags covering the rear swingarm.

3. When you really look at the issue.....who really gives a flying flock if you are on a Buell Blast learning to ride, any other HD model, or the king of touring bike, Ultra Classic Electra Glide... so when you boil away all the BS, what you have is still a Harley and better than all the bikes out there trying to look and sound like a Harley.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:17 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: DeathWind

1. In the next five years how many of them will have traded their softail for a touring model?

I bought a Road Glide with intentions of keeping my 2001 Dyna Super Glide as the crappy weather work ride. After enjoying it for 4.5 years, I sold it after a month of owning and riding the RG.

2. How many of those softails have bags on them because, subconsciously, they envy the room of a bagger’s saddlebags?

It may say Hertage Softail Classic, but it screams bagger with its windshield and saddlebags covering the rear swingarm.

3. When you really look at the issue.....who really gives a flying flock if you are on a Buell Blast learning to ride, any other HD model, or the king of touring bike, Ultra Classic Electra Glide... so when you boil away all the BS, what you have is still a Harley and better than all the bikes out there trying to look and sound like a Harley.
1. Probably never, I'm not sure I can physically stand riding a bike long enough or far enough to need permenently mounted "overnight" bags. "IF" I ever need "bags" I already have a T-Bag all picked out that I like. As for trading this bike in, Forget it. First I couldn't afford ANOTHER bike. This one cost double what I paid for my pickup truck. Second, and far more importantly, the wife likes this one and has lousey knees so just getting on this one is hard, the bigger RK's, and EG's are completely out of the question. So she would KILL me, very slowly, and very painfully if I went out and replaced this one on her.

2. I do envy the storage capacity, but I will not put bags on my Custom, I like the way it looks, handles, and rides now. With some minor cosmetic and performance upgrades of course. If I need to carry annything on it I have a small rack on back and a backpack. Anything that won't fit in the backpack, or on the rack is too big or heavy for the bike anyway. I have a nice little Ranger pickup truck for that stuff.

3. AMEN brother, AMEN!!!!! [sm=biker2.gif]

Old 11-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Cowracer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FLH's were made to be ridden.

Sloptails were made to be parked at a bar and looked at.

"HEY! LOOK AT ME! I'M NEARLY A BAD-***! IF YOU SQUINT REAL HARD, YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY MISTAKE MY BIKE FOR A RIGID"

tim

(I say this in jest. My brother owns a Sloptail Heritige Classic)

Old 11-02-2006, 12:18 PM
chops
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct me if i'm wrong ,but me thinks them counterbalancers rob HP and torque!
A: Correct! About 2-3 HP. Good tradeoff for some.
But then so does additional baggage. Additional weight (including body fat) takes more hp/torque to lug around.
That's why I run 5 miles a day.[8D]

A- 1: Not anytime soon. I'll probably go bagger when I get real old and need to sit on top of the machine instead of sitting in it and becoming 'part' of the machine. I did install V&H pipes, K&N air, and a SERT on a 'friend's' RK. I rode around on it. It was cool, but not cool like a Softail. He kept bugging, no, unwavering pestering me to go to HOG meetings every month and Friday night ride-to dinners, I never did and he gave up asking.

B- 2. Good question, I don't know. I've never had more than a tool bag on my front forks. But then, a GW has a lot of trunkage on it too. Love seeing the stripped down Kings though, pretendin' to be a Softail
Wonder why those ghost brackets are so popular?

C- 3. True, who gives a F-F. All good natured humour here for sure. It's all Harley. I'm sure most of us here can buy any model we want, as they are for the most part in the same ball park. I special ordered mine, I'm not envious of other models.

So, to carry the Softail banner here, I've said it on many websites that the Fatboy is ***** G's and Harley Davidson's premier, finest example and exhibit of Engineering Artistry. I realize that this may be an unpopular statement here on the bagger board, but sometimes the truth hurts. Peace.

I'm going back to the Softail forum now.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:29 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Sooner or later riders that own soft tails go touring. Take a look at trade ins, ever see a ultra traded on a fatboy, I rest my case!

Old 11-02-2006, 12:36 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

[sm=sleeping.gif]

Regards,

Bill

Old 11-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have owned both.
The whole sitting in it/on it thing just depends pretty much on the seat. My softail would vibrate at highway speeds, my Streetglide only vibrates at stop lights.
I own a bike to ride it not look at it, so I like having the bat wing, radio and bags.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:19 PM
QT Hush
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: chops

Love seeing the stripped down Kings though, pretendin' to be a Softail
How can a Road King possibly pretend to be a softail?

Old 11-02-2006, 02:45 PM
deuce dude
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the record, i like both....am looking at a bagger right now. wouldn't give up my deuce though so i may have to get back into a payment to do it .......in my opinion both bikes have their place, i like the deuce for around town and under 500 mile trips but i'm getting a bagger for the long stuff and multiday trips so i can take my gear and get there in one piece.....jabbing at each other is cool and fun but some of this crap i'm hearing is stupid, both on this thread and the other one....

Quick Reply: You guys want to laugh?