Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys want to laugh?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: You guys want to laugh?

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

It's just not worth it. I had people in the Sporty forum who swore sporty's were faster than big twins until I showed them the performance data. Here, there is no such data, but given I don't think either bike handles that different (you tourer guys like to think softails don't handle well) the 150lb and difference in board clearance makes too much of a difference.

Frankly, there is just no way a touring is gonna keep up with a softail - you simply are gonna be scrapin' boards while we're running through corners. But go on, keep sayin monster tourers, with hundreds of EXTRA pounds up high over the center of gravity, and the boards stopping you from leaning anywhere near the same angles a softy can, are gonna handle better.

Like sayin' my SUV, cause it has 4 wheel independent suspension, will outhandle a sedan cause it has a solid rear axle. I just can't waste my breath. I'm out..
Try a Street Glide with it's lowered shocks and I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

Old 11-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

bud, you been readin too much...like i posted in the softail forum....i'll be happy to embarass you on your softie with my bagger...you ready [:-]
ORIGINAL: Streetrunner

It's just not worth it. I had people in the Sporty forum who swore sporty's were faster than big twins until I showed them the performance data. Here, there is no such data, but given I don't think either bike handles that different (you tourer guys like to think softails don't handle well) the 150lb and difference in board clearance makes too much of a difference.

Frankly, there is just no way a touring is gonna keep up with a softail - you simply are gonna be scrapin' boards while we're running through corners. But go on, keep sayin monster tourers, with hundreds of EXTRA pounds up high over the center of gravity, and the boards stopping you from leaning anywhere near the same angles a softy can, are gonna handle better.

Like sayin' my SUV, cause it has 4 wheel independent suspension, will outhandle a sedan cause it has a solid rear axle. I just can't waste my breath. I'm out..
Try a Street Glide with it's lowered shocks and I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

Old 11-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

personally, i think youre a moron

Old 11-10-2006, 12:56 AM
fasthd06
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is plain to see you dont have a clue what you are talking about.Softails are good looking bikes , except for the duece with that dirt bike looking back fender.They are not a good handleing bike at ALL !! OK for barhopping but will NEVER outrun a good touring bike.

ORIGINAL: Mac57

We have the bikes they will want when they grow up.
Ouch. So let me get the straight guys - softails are for posing, baggers for riding. I'm thinking you guys are spending too much time on the interstates and not enough on the windy bits. Cause I'd scrape bagger floorboards before I got two corners from my house.

Maybe I'll get the Dyna guys involved here and see what THEY have to say...

Old 09-14-2007, 12:16 AM
FatBoy99
Novice

Last statement to an old argument.

It does not matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:07 AM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mac57

We have the bikes they will want when they grow up.
Ouch. So let me get the straight guys - softails are for posing, baggers for riding. I'm thinking you guys are spending too much time on the interstates and not enough on the windy bits. Cause I'd scrape bagger floorboards before I got two corners from my house.

Maybe I'll get the Dyna guys involved here and see what THEY have to say...

hey man to each his own but.... are you telling me a soft tail will out handle a bagger? lets go play on dem "windy bits" it aint gonna happen.... had a softy(a *****) the other day think all this, then proceeded to get crushed by me, and was in amazement when we stopped....

Old 09-14-2007, 03:21 AM
hotpursuit
Road Captain

A lot of my bagger buddies do less mileage than I do, daily, seasonally, etc.

Again, if ridin' on the highway is your thing, then yup baggers are da bomb. My feeling is that if you're doin 600 miles in a day, you're not smellin the flowers, meetin' people, and seein' the scenery. I ride to enjoy it, not to brag that I can do 600 miles in a day.

huh? we did 500 miles in one day ALL BACK ROADS, stopped for lunch and dinner plus fuel.... easy relaxing back road 500 MILE day.....

interstate is to get to places to ride, try not to do under 700 miles when hammering to the west coast, then back off once to our area of interest....

Old 09-14-2007, 07:36 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont get it. Granted the bike shakes at idle. My sig pic is only a slight exaggeration really but tht at idle. What is idle anyway 800-950 rpms. By 1100 there is NO shake or vibration what so ever.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:49 AM
ianchris1
Tourer

ORIGINAL: ken thompson

I dont get it. Granted the bike shakes at idle. My sig pic is only a slight exaggeration really but tht at idle. What is idle anyway 800-950 rpms. By 1100 there is NO shake or vibration what so ever.
[sm=exactly.gif]I almost bought a Softail Deluxe because of this. I turned on both bikes and sat on them at idle and was shocked how rough the RK was. My salesman told me that I wouldn't notice once I got going on it and sure enough he couldn't be anymore right! The solution to softail vs. touring... get a whole garage full of all different kinds... Someday!

Old 09-14-2007, 07:57 AM
reddfinn
Cruiser

That's an old thread. Why bring it up?

Quick Reply: You guys want to laugh?