Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys want to laugh?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:26 PM
rkoko164
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: You guys want to laugh?

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

Oh and the comment above, softail riders wear panties - you're stretchin past funny and treading into serious in my opinion. You find a pair of panties to fit my 6'2" 250lb ***....

Please, this is going too far, I can't wipe the image out of my head now!!!

Old 11-06-2006, 09:27 PM
RenoRainesRenegade
Cruiser

You wanna take twisties on a Harley? Find an FXR to borrow. You will like it.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:07 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cryptoboy

A bagger will out perform a Softail in the twisties,
You're kidding right? The guy was talkin' about the bagger "winning" cause it was a long distance race. You're gonna tell me that with the same motor, a bagger, with a 150lb weight penalty and boards that are 3" from the floor, is gonna outhandle my Deuce in the twisties?

Any day, any time, any place...

Oh and the comment above, softail riders wear panties - you're stretchin past funny and treading into serious in my opinion. You find a pair of panties to fit my 6'2" 250lb ***....
Maybe you should go ride a bagger in some twisties before you assume they can't handle as well, if not better than your Deuce. When I had my Lowrider (and yes, Dyna's will handle better than Softtails in the twisties!), I'd go riding with some of my friends, also on Dyna's. They were both more experienced riders, so when we'd hit the twisties, I'd spend the straights trying to catch up to them. I bought my EG Standard, and within a month I was keeping up with them. Yes, partly because I was/am gaining experience (although I started my motorcyle riding back in the 90's on sportbikes), but the ride is smoother, the handling is better, and the suspension is better suited for that type of riding.

The funny thing, EVERY rider I have ridden with that started with a softtail, now has a touring bike! We're all in our late 20's/early 30's as well.

Keep in mind that a bike like yours, a Deuce, has a longer wheelbase, and a longer rake/trail than a touring bike does (and Dyna's for that matter, except the Wide Glide). Those two factors alone make handling the twisties more difficult. Add the hidden suspension (which the location alone detracts from a Softtails handling ability), you better believe a Glide will handle better!

That said, I love the look of the softtails, the FatBoy in particular (that was the bike that got me interested in Harleys).
So you've never ridden a softail and you're telling me I should ride the tourer before I make statements.....

You, sir, have no basis for that statement other than the fact that the softail has a non-conventional suspension. You completely ignore the facts making your argument ridiculous (weight, floorboards). My pal on his Dyna me on my Deuce and two BMW's we ride with walk away from all baggers in the twisties. You guys must have those GSXbaggeR's....

Old 11-06-2006, 11:53 PM
jmorton10
Road Captain

I agree that a bagger with a good rider can certainly outhandle a softail in the twisties(& yes, I have owned both). Softails are for looks, they are not really designed for handling.

I had an 01 Heritage & I absolutely loved it, I rode it all over the country. After I swapped out the seat, bars & risers & added some different peg options it was an awesome bike.

I now have an 04 bagger & I love that bike also.

I agree with a previous poster however, the best handling HD I have ever ridden was an FXR with Works shocks.

~John

Old 11-07-2006, 12:17 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

Well 1st things 1st. 250 lb's in panties . . . Pretty picture. One thing about it, when you're done with em, the Harley Screamin Eagle Drag Racing Team could use em for parachutes.

I've had a Truimph, some other Brand-X's, a couple Sportster's, two Shovelhead's (a 74 and an 84) and now a Heritage. I'm pretty sure I've worn boxers or briefs while riding. I'll be the 1st to tell you, that the Sportster is no longer the "Girls' bike of choice" It is the Heritage with all the pretty studs all over it. I used to think that was cool, kind of like James West's horse in the Wild Wild West. Not any more though. I haven't really seen many gals riding the Deluxe. The two guys I know that have em just have em as Garage Jewelry. I do see them around though. Nice looking bike.

As I've posted before, I want to switch to a Bagger for the better sitting posn, the WAY better ride and brakes and The OBVIOUS better handling. Vibration isn't really an issue either way. I don't know which Bagger. I looked at a Road King today. An 02, 95 kit, Samson Ovals. 3" shorter W/shield. So now I'm even more torn. I was leaning towards the R/G, but I need to ride one with the shorter wind deflector. I gotta look over it. The stock one is right in my line of vision. I would appreciate any input from RG riders on which height windshield. I'm 6 Ft aprox.

Thank's
John

Old 11-07-2006, 12:21 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

It's just not worth it. I had people in the Sporty forum who swore sporty's were faster than big twins until I showed them the performance data. Here, there is no such data, but given I don't think either bike handles that different (you tourer guys like to think softails don't handle well) the 150lb and difference in board clearance makes too much of a difference.

Frankly, there is just no way a touring is gonna keep up with a softail - you simply are gonna be scrapin' boards while we're running through corners. But go on, keep sayin monster tourers, with hundreds of EXTRA pounds up high over the center of gravity, and the boards stopping you from leaning anywhere near the same angles a softy can, are gonna handle better.

Like sayin' my SUV, cause it has 4 wheel independent suspension, will outhandle a sedan cause it has a solid rear axle. I just can't waste my breath. I'm out..

Old 11-07-2006, 12:46 AM
vegashd
Banned

A bagger will out perform a Softail in the twisties,
You're kidding right? The guy was talkin' about the bagger "winning" cause it was a long distance race. You're gonna tell me that with the same motor, a bagger, with a 150lb weight penalty and boards that are 3" from the floor, is gonna outhandle my Deuce in the twisties?

Any day, any time, any place...

DONE!!!

Name:  bigPanties.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  46.2 KB

Old 11-07-2006, 12:50 AM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: jmorton10

I agree that a bagger with a good rider can certainly outhandle a softail in the twisties(& yes, I have owned both). Softails are for looks, they are not really designed for handling.

I had an 01 Heritage & I absolutely loved it, I rode it all over the country. After I swapped out the seat, bars & risers & added some different peg options it was an awesome bike.

I now have an 04 bagger & I love that bike also.

I agree with a previous poster however, the best handling HD I have ever ridden was an FXR with Works shocks.

~John
EXACTLY!!! except one thing..... once you hit floorboards you are doneand better be breaking.

I have ridden thousands of miles on twisities and on the track on a sportbike. I ride with guys on touring bikes who have NEVER scraped there floorboards. I will go through a cornber and **** my pants as the rear tire lifts off the ground from pivoting on the floorboard and scaring me a bit when the guy right behind me never touched a thing. Its all about coner speed and you can only go so fast till you go down on a bagger. I am always entering corners hot on my SG. Now that I have lowered it it is even WORSE!!!!
A good rider on a bike that will not scrape will always win...

Old 11-07-2006, 01:18 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: vegashd
Oh MY GOD, I'm blind!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you guys sit down and relax, who gives a rats rear end which bike is quicker through the twisty's. I'm sure that with the right rider either one would give a respectable showing. But its a HARLEY for Christ sake, its nearly half a ton of motorcycle that's not ment or made for that kind of high speed lunicy. Its ment to look good, ride well, and generally out "class" every other bike on the planet, and it does that exceptionaly well for a vehicle that if it isn't, it has to be damn close to the oldest design on the market.
If I, or any one of us really wanted something that was able to scrape the pegs with the best of them on the street, and stll be made in America we would be riding Buell's. A Sporty engine mounted in a chassis with a MAJOR dose of serious class A prescription only steroids added in.
It sure wouldn't be a Softail or Bagger. Neither one can hold a candle to any of the 600cc and up class of crotch rocket in ANY turn. But if your looking for a class bike to cruise around on or take a trip you couldn't get me anywhere near one of them. Hell after 10 minutes I almost need help to get off because I get so cramped up from the riding position. No for that our Baggers and Softails rule. Big twins don't have to prove anything, as Mel Brooks once said, "Its good to be the King".

Old 11-07-2006, 10:16 AM
exhdo1
Novice

NICE! Well he asked for it.

Quick Reply: You guys want to laugh?