Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys want to laugh?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 03:29 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: You guys want to laugh?

A lot of my bagger buddies do less mileage than I do, daily, seasonally, etc.

Again, if ridin' on the highway is your thing, then yup baggers are da bomb. My feeling is that if you're doin 600 miles in a day, you're not smellin the flowers, meetin' people, and seein' the scenery. I ride to enjoy it, not to brag that I can do 600 miles in a day.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:34 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 498 Likes on 349 Posts

Thank you Steve K !!!!!!! Best post (on this thread) yet !!

Old 11-04-2006, 03:49 PM
CueBall00
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just the young ones or newbies spouting off, I have ridden panhead rigid frame choppers , shovelhead swingarms and Evo softails and there isn't anything that is as comfortable as my Glide, but this is something I had to work up to , no way thirty years ago would I have wanted one. I have heard that the B motors are pretty smooth, I have not ridden a Twin Cam , still on the EVO.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Basz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nine11c2
I've seen bagger threads where you guys are adding fairings below the fairings cause the wind is hitting your knees. Heated grips? Cruise control? Fairings and Windshields? Radar detectors? Stereo's?
You forgot Stereo, MP3, GPS, Back rest and for Mikeee the heated Starbucks cup holder.

Mmmmmm Bagger

Old 11-04-2006, 04:06 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

ORIGINAL: Harley Rulz

I was talking to an old biker buddy of mine the other day and he told me a cool story and I'll share it here.This is a Man that's rode a ridged to Sturgis more times than he can count.He was talking to a guy on a Soft tail standard that said he could smoke My buddies bagger any day of the week so my buddy took him up on the race on his bagger.The guy on the Soft tail told My buddy (the old bagger biker) to pick the track so he did.He said,the race is to El Paso (from San Antonio) and the Smart *** said ummmmm what?My buddy said,the guy took him up on it.My buddy beet him by 3 hours.Never judge a book by it's cover and Never assume that bagger riders are not bikers!
Craig,

Good story, and so true. A bagger will out perform a Softail in the twisties, the ride is better, and there is no comparison for the long haul. Strip the bagger down and you are ready for the local bike night, toy run and all the other stuff that is just local bar hopping.

I was not going to involve myself in this as it seems so pointless to argue this question over and over, but after reading all the responses I decided to add mine.

I have a Heritage Softail and an EG Classic both sitting in my garage, and while the Heritage is fun to ride sometimes, and fits my wife to a tee, it is not the bike that the EG is.

For the guy that thinks you don't get to stop and smell the flowers riding 600 miles a day and that it is just for bragging rights, that is just wrong. The touring bikes are so comfortable that you can ride that far and still feel like stopping anytime and smelling anything you want.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest here, just trying to tell it like it is.

Regards,

Bill

Old 11-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

ORIGINAL: rideon

It all depends how far you ride, 100 miles or around town softails are o.k., but try 600 miles and see how you like it! It all depends on bike usage and what you plan to do with your bike. If it makes you happy thats all that really matters, but a softail isn't a long distance touring machine and if you see a EG with a coffee cup mounted on it you know that rider is puttin on miles.
You took the words right out of my mouth! Ditto!

Old 11-06-2006, 03:18 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I helped her pick it up after I took the picture. If she's going to ride, she needs to know how to pick it up herself. Am I right?

Old 11-06-2006, 04:16 PM
exhdo1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats why we all have choices. For example FL riders wear boxers, softail riders wear panties.

Why do most men die before their wives? Because they want to!

Old 11-06-2006, 05:17 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

A bagger will out perform a Softail in the twisties,
You're kidding right? The guy was talkin' about the bagger "winning" cause it was a long distance race. You're gonna tell me that with the same motor, a bagger, with a 150lb weight penalty and boards that are 3" from the floor, is gonna outhandle my Deuce in the twisties?

Any day, any time, any place...

Oh and the comment above, softail riders wear panties - you're stretchin past funny and treading into serious in my opinion. You find a pair of panties to fit my 6'2" 250lb ***....

Old 11-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

A bagger will out perform a Softail in the twisties,
You're kidding right? The guy was talkin' about the bagger "winning" cause it was a long distance race. You're gonna tell me that with the same motor, a bagger, with a 150lb weight penalty and boards that are 3" from the floor, is gonna outhandle my Deuce in the twisties?

Any day, any time, any place...

Oh and the comment above, softail riders wear panties - you're stretchin past funny and treading into serious in my opinion. You find a pair of panties to fit my 6'2" 250lb ***....
Maybe you should go ride a bagger in some twisties before you assume they can't handle as well, if not better than your Deuce. When I had my Lowrider (and yes, Dyna's will handle better than Softtails in the twisties!), I'd go riding with some of my friends, also on Dyna's. They were both more experienced riders, so when we'd hit the twisties, I'd spend the straights trying to catch up to them. I bought my EG Standard, and within a month I was keeping up with them. Yes, partly because I was/am gaining experience (although I started my motorcyle riding back in the 90's on sportbikes), but the ride is smoother, the handling is better, and the suspension is better suited for that type of riding.

The funny thing, EVERY rider I have ridden with that started with a softtail, now has a touring bike! We're all in our late 20's/early 30's as well.

Keep in mind that a bike like yours, a Deuce, has a longer wheelbase, and a longer rake/trail than a touring bike does (and Dyna's for that matter, except the Wide Glide). Those two factors alone make handling the twisties more difficult. Add the hidden suspension (which the location alone detracts from a Softtails handling ability), you better believe a Glide will handle better!

That said, I love the look of the softtails, the FatBoy in particular (that was the bike that got me interested in Harleys).

Quick Reply: You guys want to laugh?