Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys want to laugh?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 10:08 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,856 Likes on 1,602 Posts
Default RE: You guys want to laugh?

Thats kinda funny. I wrote a bunch of the HD stuff on wikipedia... lol

lp

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

Wikipedia says it was a trademark and that they withdrew the suit.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:29 AM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a bunch of Freakin' sissies. Do they have training wheels on those softytails? I have ridden them all and I like some better than others but Damn! They must be a bunch of Big Girls!

Semper Fi!

Old 11-04-2006, 02:17 AM
kpshooter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll still take my RK any day over a Softail or Dyna.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:44 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

Yeah wow !! That is pretty bad (And I ride a Softail) I'd NEVER slam someone elses ride. Well maybe for fringe on the saddlebags or something.
I don't have a vibration issue with mine. Sure it's smooth at idle. It buzzes slightly between 72-74 mph. 80-100 a little more. Not bad, but there. I know the FL's shake (a little) at idle. They should try an early Dyna. Those move like a paint shaker at idle, but like any rubber mount, the faster you go-the smoother it gets.
My issue with the softail is the suspension (or lack of) When you hit a bump that's one thing. When you hit uneven pavement surface where the road drops (like at a seam in the road or a bridge) it's just like when we were kids riding the Schwinn off the curb. KA-THUMP !!! Except it's 700 lbs. You'll see frickin stars !! On another hand on a smooth surface, the Softail is a stable ride. Very sure footed.

I like the FL's!! I can't decide. Gotta ride em all. The RG grows on me more every time I see one.

John

Old 11-04-2006, 09:48 AM
RenoRainesRenegade
Cruiser

Please indulge me here, not trying to hijack this thread or bore anyone, but there is a lesson here . . .
Started out on a 95 Sporty in fall 94, wife complained about being uncomfortable after about an hour. Went to a 96 SuperGlide in spring 96. Despite a new Corbin seat, wife still complained. Thought o.k., I'll get a 99 ElectraGlide Standard to see if that helps. Local stealer wouldn't give me squat for my 96, so I said I'll sell it myself later, took out loan on EGS in fall 98. She loved it, wide, comfy seat, no more complaints, I loved it too, but I couldn't bring myself to sell the SG. Two bikes, in debt, but what the hell.
In the meantime, I always liked the Softail Custom, my favorite Softail, coolest looking if naked but not real practical, bags on it were kind of a bummer, but the MoCo got rid of it in 99 when the Deuce came out. Hated (and still hate) the Deuce.
In January 01, walked into the stealer to order a tourpak. Uh-oh. Blue ElectraGlide Classic sitting there. Damn, I thought, that sure is purty! Traded the EGS, deeper into debt, but what the hell. Told myself I would definitely sell the SG in the spring, but always found an excuse to keep it. If I was alone, I mostly rode the SG, if it was both of us or I was going over 100 miles or needed to carry stuff, the EGC.
Spring 02, found out the 03s would be anniversary bikes. Uh-oh. Fall of 03, traded the blue EGC for an 03 silver and black EGC. Told myself and my wife that all 03s would be collector's items, they would hold their value, so I also traded the 96 SG for an 03 SG. More debt, but what the hell.
Later, thought this is crazy, I need to go to one bike, hard to ride two bikes. Don't usually ride to work because I have to park in a public garage blocks away from my cubicle and I know some lowlife will steal it or some punk will key the tank. But do I want an EGC as my only bike? Road King seems like a good compromise. Got the stealer's last RKC in summer 03, told myself I would decide between it and the EGC. Stealer wouldn't give me squat for the 03 SG, but I did sell it through the local fishwrap first. Still in debt, but what the hell.
Tried to decide between the two, but always found an excuse to keep both. Decided I would eventually keep the RKC, so it got big bore kit, SERT, Vance & Hines 2-1, etc. Told myself I would definitely sell the EGC. Then late last summer, I read about the 96 inch engine, 6-speed tranny, etc., BUT -- also read that the MoCo was reintroducing the Softail Custom. Uh-oh. In September, walked into the local stealer, big mistake: black SC sitting there. Despite the 07 tranny troubles, had to have it. This is where I know I will catch all kinds of sh*t: traded the 03 EGC for the SC. (O.K. guys, let me have it. Ouch, damn, that one hurt!) Still in debt, but what the hell.
Bottom line is, I love both bikes. Really can't afford both, but hey, what the hell. Wife will ride on the SC but prefers the RKC. However, if you put a gun to my head and said choose, I would keep the RKC. Can't beat the ride. ElectraGlide was better at highway speed and the radio was nice, but if only one, the RKC. Seems like a good compromise between utility and style.

The moral of the story: NEVER, EVER, buy a new bike without either selling your bike first or trading it in to the stealer, even though you probably won't get squat. DON'T tell yourself you will sell your old bike later, you are kidding yourself, chances are you will end up with two bikes.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:33 AM
rkoko164
Cruiser

Wow, that's all I can say to that one!

[You did keep some pictures I hope]

Old 11-04-2006, 12:33 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: redhwk44

What a bunch of Freakin' sissies. Do they have training wheels on those softytails? I have ridden them all and I like some better than others but Damn! They must be a bunch of Big Girls!

Semper Fi!
You're callin' us sissies? Look below - no windshield, no fairing, no crash bars, no highway pegs. Just a plain old knees in the breeze motorcycle!! I've seen bagger threads where you guys are adding fairings below the fairings cause the wind is hitting your knees. Heated grips? Cruise control? Fairings and Windshields? Radar detectors? Stereo's? Hey, in the "radical tourer picture thread" there is a "cockpit" with a coffee cup? With all due respect to what I assume is an current or former Marine - but we're wimps?

Old 11-04-2006, 01:13 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

RenoRainesRenegade,

Now that's funny, I have to remember that and be careful of it happening to me as I can't pass a stealer or a gun shop without stopping in.
Driving all over the state for work I don't think there is a stealer west of Albany NY that I haven't been in and I KEEP GOING BACK.
Sonner or later if I'm not careful its going to get me in trouble.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:08 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

It all depends how far you ride, 100 miles or around town softails are o.k., but try 600 miles and see how you like it! It all depends on bike usage and what you plan to do with your bike. If it makes you happy thats all that really matters, but a softail isn't a long distance touring machine and if you see a EG with a coffee cup mounted on it you know that rider is puttin on miles.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was talking to an old biker buddy of mine the other day and he told me a cool story and I'll share it here.This is a Man that's rode a ridged to Sturgis more times than he can count.He was talking to a guy on a Soft tail standard that said he could smoke My buddies bagger any day of the week so my buddy took him up on the race on his bagger.The guy on the Soft tail told My buddy (the old bagger biker) to pick the track so he did.He said,the race is to El Paso (from San Antonio) and the Smart *** said ummmmm what?My buddy said,the guy took him up on it.My buddy beet him by 3 hours.Never judge a book by it's cover and Never assume that bagger riders are not bikers!

Quick Reply: You guys want to laugh?