Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank vibration how to tell???????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:35 PM
mario medeiros
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank vibration how to tell???????????

My 2000 tc electraglide has a vibration at around 3000 rpm,brought it to my guy who works on my bike and he thinks it might be the crank.I know he is a honest guy but i am hoping and praying it might be something else.My rear tire is badly cupped(geting a new one next week)i was hoping that might have something to do with it.Last night while riding i pulled in the clutch and at idea it shock bad all the way untill i stopped,then just now i tryed the same thing but this time i pulkled the clutch and killed the motor and it was smooth!He cheaked the upper mount and it was fine,lower front mount was replaced and nothing touching the floor boards.Any other ideas?Thanks

Old 06-08-2011, 06:57 AM
mario medeiros
Advanced

Do you still ride your bike with the chance of it having a crank vibration?It seems like that is what most of the guys on this site do,will it just keep the same vibration or can it get worse?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How many miles on motor? Any upgrades?

Old 06-08-2011, 11:37 AM
mario medeiros
Advanced

70,000 km's,head work,se cam,96,k&n,ect.No vibration @ 3000 rpm last year.It just happened on friday just past on my way to a show i felt a bad vibration on my right floor board and it felt like it was coming from the back end.The bad vib only lasted a few min's but now i always feel a vib at the 3000 rpm mark,it's not bad but i know it is there.Again i will change my cupped tire next week,oh and BTW i did replace my exhaust and looked everywhere but i do not see it rubbing anywhere.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:03 PM
MadIrish
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What else has changed recently? Any change in fluid brands/types? I noticed a big change in my bike after the first major fluid change when they put synthetics in each of the holes...at about 3k I feel a hell of a vibration in the right floorboard, if I drop RPM's it goes away. Felt the same thing on a couple of used bikes of the same age, way different than it felt with the factory lubricants.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:35 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can pull the open the cam chest and do a run out on the crank fairly easy to see if your in spec or not. Hope its just your tire good luck

Old 06-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Get the tire changed and check, also might try replacing the rubbers on your footboards. They may be wore out and allowing you to feel more of the vibration. I think new tire and re-balancing will make a difference.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:05 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

vibration at 3000 rpm, but what gear and what speed?

Old 06-08-2011, 11:53 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cranks on the 2000 model year are pretty stout. They are forged not cast and also have the timkin bearing. You can always check it like was said above but I bet it's a mount or something else. Have you checked all the motor mounts? Make sure your rear muffler mounts are lined up right? Slip ons? Front mount not soaked with oil and spongy? Go over everything with a wrench?

Old 06-09-2011, 01:31 AM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dropped a nut recently or could a rock be stuck between the frame/motor somewhere?
Exhaust system mounts tight?
Rear wheel bearings OK?
If you have spoke wheels check for loose spoke(s)? (I know it's a Glide but were the wheels changed)?

Check easy stuff first!

Quick Reply: Crank vibration how to tell???????????