Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'11 FLHTCU issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:28 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '11 FLHTCU issues

As you can see I have an '11 Ultra, about to do the first service on it and just thought I would list some issues I have with it.
1. The rear turns stay on when the ignition switch is on accessory. It does have the RTB module.
2. The passenger backrest vibrates off of the top of the tourpak very loudly.
3. The clutch lever does not fully return when released.
4. When the EITMS is enabled it idles so rough and there is so much pinging it is not usable. The last time I did use it I thought the engine was going to shred itself from all the internal noise coming from it.
5. The oil pressure reads 0-2 at idle, never higher than 14 under throttle.

I always do my own routine service on my bikes but I think this time a trip to the dealer is in order AFTER I do the fluid changes and other basic maintenance.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the new Ultra! I'm really enjoying mine...

My passenger backrest is noisy too. I suppose it's rubber mounted to increase comfort for the passenger, and the vibration of the motor is shaking it quite a bit.

My clutch lever is slow to return as well. I'm going to take it apart this weekend to see if it just needs some lubrication.

I tried the EITMS one afternoon and didn't like the way it functioned or sounded. I disabled the feature.

My oil pressure reads lower at idle than what I am used to seeing on my other bikes, but gets up to about 32 psi at mid-throttle.

I did my 1000 mile service myself, as you are planning, to save some money and ensure that EVERYTHING on the checklist gets done. Sounds like you have enough nagging problems that a trip to the dealer is warranted.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:15 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

So I decided to mess with it a bit instead of taking a day off work to visit my dealer. I removed the passenger backrest and found that the center isolator bracket corner was actually hitting the plastic of the backrest. I took it off and ground the lower end about 1/4 inch then put it back on all the way against the backrest, re-installed and no more vibrating off of the tourpak, now it holds the backrest down onto the tourpak instead of it being up off by 1/2 inch like it was. Ajusted the cluth cable and it now returns fully. No idea why I lost oil pressure but it seems back to normal now with 10 at idle and 32 at 2000 rmps and no more pinging at stops, got to keep an eye on that, and i'll keep the EITMS deactivated from now on. As far as the rear turns staying on while the ignition is on accessory with the RTB module, the dealer tells me that is normal on the '09's and up, so no more listening to the radio while cleaning I guess, and that sucks.

Last edited by ezriderpgh; 06-09-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Guitar4Him
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2011 Ultra Classic. I just checked and, with the ignition switch in the ACC position, there are no running lights on.

I've noticed that my clutch lever is reluctant to return fully to the "open" position. I adjusted a little on the clutch cable and it helped a little but there's still a small amount of space existing when I let the clutch out slowly. If I let it out fast, it will fully return to the open position. I don't think it hurts anything but it's still annoying. Maybe, some lubricant on the pivot point might help it some.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:53 PM
harleycat225
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
. As far as the rear turns staying on while the ignition is on accessory with the RTB module, the dealer tells me that is normal on the '09's and up, so no more listening to the radio while cleaning I guess, and that sucks.
Just checked mine. I also have the RTB module and the one for the lights in the tour pak. None of my lights are on while in the ACC position.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:49 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Guitar4him but do you have the RTB module on yours?

Harleycat225 the dealer did say if I had the tourpak RTB module also the lights wouldn't be on.

Anyone have the rear RTB module alone on their '09 or up?

Old 06-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Guitar4Him
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry...I do not have the RTB module.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:33 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a rtb module on my 09 FLHTC and just went to check...With the ignition switch in the acc.position all of my rear lights are on...With the switch in the same position I turned my cruise switch off and they all went out...strange ...very strange.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:41 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'11 with the switch in ACC position, the TP lights (I added them) are on and yes I have the RTB module... will see if the cruise switch makes a diff. Do all my maintenance myself, have a stage 1 from FM, and love the bike. My EITMS is always on... I sit in gate traffic for the base usually every morning and would rather not cook. It just goes to air pump mode, it sounds funny running on one cylinder, and is rough, but no pinging or anything.

Edit: Cruise does not make a diff. The tourpak light bar running lights are on in ACC position... noticed this when I added the light bar, and others here confirmed theirs did the same.

Last edited by JollyRogers; 06-09-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:53 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

i have a 2010 rgc, so i don't have the same lighting scheme that you do, but i am running the rtb module for the tri-bar light and i don't have any lights on in acc.

i think your dealer is trying to put one over on you. go to the dealership and ask him to show you another one that does it....

also, in the owner's manual it says: ACCESSORY: Accessories are on. Hazard warning flashers can be left on. Instrument lamps are on. Brake lamp and horn can be activated.