Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

passive security system not armed or operational

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:16 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default passive security system not armed or operational

2011 FLTRU passive security system is inop. no brinking key on instruments and bike starts whether key fob is present or miles away. I am not getting the flashing turn signals either to indicate the passive system is armed or functional.

I have an appointment Wednesday to have dealer check it out, but some times the word here is faster than the Harley Tech"s.

regardless when I made the appointment the service manager's response was "I cant believe the bike still starts if the passive security system quit functioning."

any thoughts or prior experience with a similar problem out there??

Last edited by oley55; 06-06-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:28 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I believe there is a option on turning it on/off incase you trailer it so that it doesnt run the battery dead. Checck your manual to see on how to turn it back on.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:36 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has it ever worked? I cant remember if the system has a valet mode? Check the manual to see if it does

Old 06-06-2011, 07:02 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't leave the spare fob somewhere on the bike did you?

Old 06-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Harpoonman
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oley55
2011 FLTRU passive security system is inop. no brinking key on instruments and bike starts whether key fob is present or miles away. I am not getting the flashing turn signals either to indicate the passive system is armed or functional.

I have an appointment Wednesday to have dealer check it out, but some times the word here is faster than the Harley Tech"s.

regardless when I made the appointment the service manager's response was "I cant believe the bike still starts if the passive security system quit functioning."

any thoughts or prior experience with a similar problem out there??
I don't know about the 2011 models, but when my 09 had this similar issue.... The nucklekeads at the dealer were soooo anxious to get my CHECK, they neglected to activate the security system, among several other things they neglected to do...

Old 06-06-2011, 07:27 PM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harpoonman
I don't know about the 2011 models, but when my 09 had this similar issue.... The nucklekeads at the dealer were soooo anxious to get my CHECK, they neglected to activate the security system, among several other things they neglected to do...
If it has never worked I would say this is the answer. They never hooked it up to Digital Tech and Married the FOBS to the tssm. This is exactly how mine acted after I installed the TSSM and did password learn myself and before i got it to the Dealer to do Digital Tech FOB programing.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:37 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harpoonman
frankly I don't know that it ever worked. probably never did and I just took it for granted as my other bikes all worked. I realized it wasn't working when I got to the gas station and gassed up and realized I didn't have my fob. I screwed around for over 20 minutes trying to manually enter my codes and only managaed to turn my flashers on a dozen times. Couldn't for the life of me figure out why it wouldn't allow me to enter my codes. In frustration I hit the starter and off I went.

No telling how many times Ive walked away from the baike for a short while leaving it unlocked while thinking the passive secuirty system was keeping someone from cranking her up and riding off.

as for the other responses/thoughts:
I have spent hours scouring both the owner and service manual, and most definately not in trailor/transport mode.
and no I don't have a fob secretly hidden on the bike......sheesh

Old 06-06-2011, 08:03 PM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well then I guess to the dealer you go to get FOBS programed at NO CHARGE since they forgot and they are the only ones that can do it.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Harpoonman
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oley55
frankly I don't know that it ever worked. probably never did and I just took it for granted as my other bikes all worked. I realized it wasn't working when I got to the gas station and gassed up and realized I didn't have my fob. I screwed around for over 20 minutes trying to manually enter my codes and only managaed to turn my flashers on a dozen times. Couldn't for the life of me figure out why it wouldn't allow me to enter my codes. In frustration I hit the starter and off I went.
Confirmed !! The dealer has not programed your fobs into your system.

Originally Posted by JRBass
Well then I guess to the dealer you go to get FOBS programed at NO CHARGE since they forgot and they are the only ones that can do it.
Sorry this is the best news I have for you today. Good Luck. It shouldn't take them 15 min to do. Take both of your fobs, your owners manual and any other documentation that came with the fobs.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Frank Smith
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

same crap happened with my wifey's new street glide. Took it back to the dealer and they programmed the FOBs. They are always in a hurry to get yer money and you out the door.

Quick Reply: passive security system not armed or operational