Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Mufflers, my sorta Baffleotomy

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011 | 11:12 AM
racerxdan
|
Novice
Default Stock Mufflers, my sorta Baffleotomy

Have an 2002 FLHTCI, big bore,headwork,andrews21g cam, V&H 4"slip on's,power commander, dyno'ed with custom map, as I got older the loudeness really started to bother the wife and I on long trips ..
I took a couple of sets of stock mufflers and played around a bit,

1st try I drilled the hole in each disc (one ea end of ea muffler)out a little bigger, really made no diff in sound.

2nd try on the engine side if you take a flashlight you can see two holes,(not the small disc) I drilled them a little bigger and added two more holes opposite of the exsisting ones, this made them a little louder.

3rd try I took a 1 1/8" hole saw completely removed the disc on the back end and drilled the front disc to 1/2'' opening both sides, sounds really good when you lay into it and I can hear my radio and talk with the wife at 70 with no real trouble, they dont sound to bad at at idle or low speed but hey, for the cost of a hole saw, I really cant complain. I rode 250miles have not noticed a big diff in performance, as I have not had it remapped for the more restrcitive mufflers, and dont think that I need to?

I took another set gutted them, sounded way too loud!!!, ran like Chit!!! not the way to go

Old 06-06-2011 | 11:36 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Congrats. I know myself and many others here have tried it with...let's say less than desireable results.

You must have hit the right combination for your taste.

With that in mind, does anybody want to buy a set of drilled up stock mufflers? :-)

Old 06-06-2011 | 11:56 AM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member

We always find a way to "make it work"

Old 06-06-2011 | 12:06 PM
doggiedave
Road Master

I've had the same problem. had a set of V&H ovals and true duals. sold my car and using bike for trans for now. Got too loud for me, talked the dealer out of two sets of 2010 Road king take offs. left muffler has real short baffle right long baffle took baffle out of extra right side pipe and welded it in place of left baffle. sounds a little louder than stock but I'm pleased and still able to keep my true duals. just say'n

Old 06-06-2011 | 12:16 PM
racerxdan
|
Novice

Think I'm getting cheaper as I get older...lol...yeah the pipes dont sound as good as the V&H or S/E or xyz brands, but thats exactly what they are not...I've done some checking around and cant see spending 125-200.00 for a set of worked over stockers or used slip on's, that I may or may not be happy with....these will suffice for the time being, maybe when I have my second mid-life crisis I'lll opt for putting the V&H's back on and really get the engine worked over. (there is no subsitiute for cubic inches)....maybe even a second divorce.

I really like this site, some good info.