Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bearing burned out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by santajim
Hey Dawg beings that you brought up the oil thing. I have moved to AZ where it is getting HOT and have been running syn-3 in all 3 holes of my '09 Ultra and have been worrying about the heat. My question to you is do you think i should change to something else?
Thanks
Jim
Have you given any thought to installing an oil cooler on your bike?

Old 06-06-2011, 06:46 PM
dwg1956
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2008 Ultra Classic 18,000 mile mainshaft bearing went out 4 months out of warranty harley wouldn't help. Had been running Mobile 1 20/50 for about 6000 miles since then back to Harley primary/trans lube

Old 06-06-2011, 06:49 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,086 Likes on 22,577 Posts

Subscribed..

Old 06-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,971 Likes on 4,163 Posts

Originally Posted by hxturbo1
I was on a road trip through Arizona when a grinding sound started coming from my primary. Took it to a dealer in Flagstaff and after they tore it apart they found the main bearing burnt out and the rotor and cover broken apart. Cost me 500 bucks to fix it but I was able to continue my ride

Big thanks to Flagstaff Harley who was open on Memorial day.

Anyone heard of this problem on a bike with only 23,000 miles on it?
Can you narrow it down to what you call the main bearing? Are you refering to the inner prinary bearing? I assume by rotor and cover, you mean the alternator rotor and I guess the spline sheared or magnets came unglued. If so these are two different area's in the primary.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I run Forumla+ in the trans and primary. Almost 36K on My 08UC and no problems.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:35 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

It is true that the SE comp does not appear to like certain oils. Used to be able to run ATF without issues, but with the SE comp that appears to cause issues. Fretting has been wreaking havoc on the SE comps. The jury is still out, but several are running Formula + and having less problems. I run Redline MTL with the SE comp and will be pulling it down at the end of the season to see how it has faired as far as fretting, etc. I have not had any bearing issues on my 08 thus far with 24k on the clock.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:17 PM
dgretz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With 77K miles on the 07 SG, have gone thru two of the double row main bearing #8967. On the latest replacement the rotor cover on the comp assembly was cracked and about to let go. My indy wrench caught that one.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:46 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Punjabi HD
It happened twice on my 07 and 2nd time it tore the crap out of transmission bearings too but since then the tech recommend quality gear oil and I'm using Red line no problem since then. Tech said whoever gets hard on their 07s had this issue.But my warranty and ESP took care of it.
Are you talking about the duplex bearing in the tranny? Twice? I've used 85w140 gear oil since the beginning, RL SPH for the past two years, but still had the tranny-bearing failure. This seemed to be common on '07's, but my tech said he hasn't seen one come back after replacing it, leading me to wonder if it was a quality-control or installation issue with some of these bikes.

BTW, I definitely don't "get hard" on my bike and changed the fluid every 10k or sooner, so I can't use either as an excuse for this failure.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:51 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by dwg1956
2008 Ultra Classic 18,000 mile mainshaft bearing went out 4 months out of warranty harley wouldn't help. Had been running Mobile 1 20/50 for about 6000 miles since then back to Harley primary/trans lube
HD's inconsistency is perplexing. My tranny bearing was covered 10 months after the factory warranty expired (no extended), although I did report an odd sound in the area two months before the expiration date, which may have been the deciding factor. Both the tech and I decided to give it more time, as the origin wasn't known at that time. Anyway, my dealer was prepared to give me a "goodwill" warranty, which is covered by a budget given by the factory to help customers with problems like this outside the warranty, so I was covered in two ways.

Anyone who has a major repair like this just after the warranty expires should ask about this goodwill warranty coverage.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:00 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
It is true that the SE comp does not appear to like certain oils. Used to be able to run ATF without issues, but with the SE comp that appears to cause issues. Fretting has been wreaking havoc on the SE comps. The jury is still out, but several are running Formula + and having less problems. I run Redline MTL with the SE comp and will be pulling it down at the end of the season to see how it has faired as far as fretting, etc. I have not had any bearing issues on my 08 thus far with 24k on the clock.
I have an early SE comp and worry a bit about it. No odd noises are in evidence and everything is very smooth and quiet, except for the usual tensioner whine that has been around since new, but my HD tech wants me to pull the primary apart at 60k (now at 47k) for an inspection and automatic replacement of the chain, tensioner, and maybe clutch disks and stator. I'll probably stick to that schedule unless I hear or read about anything that would prompt me to do it sooner. Again, I've been using Castrol GTX 20w50 in the primary.

Has HD ever produced a TT or SB on the early SE comps? Are the dealers seeing it fail with any abnormal regularity?

Quick Reply: Bearing burned out.