Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Bead ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 10:00 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts
Default Dyna Bead ??

Been reading alot about them on the posts where tire weights fell off. My question is do they last the life of the tire? Seems like they would wear out rubbing against each other inside the tire during acceleration / deceleration

Old 06-05-2011, 10:02 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

They are ceramic and do not wear out. I had them in my last rear tire for 16K right after I had bought the tire from the dealer and had the wheel weight fly off on my way home. Put them in both tires after that happened. As a matter of fact, today I had just vacuumed them out of those tires when I was cleaning up my garage. I had changed out the tires myself last fall and was getting ready to take the tires in for recycling. I didn't want the beads falling out all over the place, so I vacuumed them out. Not dust at all, just whole beads.

Last edited by soos; 06-05-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Hoblick
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have unmounted quite a few tires that have had them.. and what you have left is some beads completely in tact, some dust, and alot of them embedded in the tire.

i understand the idea behind how they work.
but they cant work that great if the beads embed themselves in the tire carcass

after i saw that i wont use them

i have mount and balanced 100s of tires and as long as you prep the surface the weight is going on (if using sticky weights) or make sure the clamp style weight is tight you shouldnt have issues.

i have had my track bike at 130+ down a back straight and the sticky weights i put on never came off.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Tenn
Tourer
Received 126 Likes on 61 Posts

i've been using them for several yrs with outstanding success.

i change my own tires and recycle them ,from old tire to new, i have seen a bit of dust but nothing to worry about.

to have the beads embed on the inside of the tire would concern me too! rubber had to get to extreme temps for that to happen in my book. IMHO

ride on

TN

Old 06-05-2011, 11:02 PM
SIU 96
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoblick
i have unmounted quite a few tires that have had them.. and what you have left is some beads completely in tact, some dust, and alot of them embedded in the tire.

i understand the idea behind how they work.
but they cant work that great if the beads embed themselves in the tire carcass

after i saw that i wont use them

i have mount and balanced 100s of tires and as long as you prep the surface the weight is going on (if using sticky weights) or make sure the clamp style weight is tight you shouldnt have issues.

i have had my track bike at 130+ down a back straight and the sticky weights i put on never came off.
I dont doubt you have seen this but the success stories are endless. From big trucks to motorcycles. This is the first I have heard of beads imbedding into the tire. What do you attribute that to, heat maybe ?
I have never ran them but was considering changing my next set of tires myself and using the beads, mostly because I dont have a ballancer.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:45 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

When I powdercoated my wheels I had a dealer install and balance the tires. They used some cheap weights, and the rear wheel weights fell off on the way to Arizona. I rode 500-ish miles with a bad vibration on the freeway.

The dealer told me to pull the wheel and he'd rebalance for free. I said no way! I spent the $10 for Dyna Beads and installed. Seems to work great on my bike. I'll keep using them for sure.

They are ceramic beads, most commonly used for shot peening in the aerospace industry. They are extremely hard, and last an extremely long time. I don't think spinning around in a tire is going to create much wear...

Old 06-05-2011, 11:47 PM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another fan of them - used them in my last 2 bikes and wont ever use a stickon/clip on weight ever again.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:51 AM
glydman
Intermediate

Helz belz, after this post I think I'm going to go with the beads. The less moving parts and things to fall off the better.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:17 AM
dhincc
Road Master

It would seem that the only time the beads would "move" would be when you stop. Once you start moving they balance out and stay in place until you brake or stop. Just my thoughts ...
I bought some and tried to get my dealer to put them in when they replaced my tires, but they refused. Said they couldn't do it. They couldn't say why, just that they aren't allowed to use them.

Ride safe!

Old 06-06-2011, 04:20 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm on my second rear tire with them. It seems that people who mount and balance tires for a living don't like them very much......go figure!

Quick Reply: Dyna Bead ??