Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brembo Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 08:13 PM
hythomasf
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brembo Brakes

I am currently with my wife in Scotland on a road trip. She has a rental 2011 RKC. I ride my 02 RKC. We switched bikes for part of the trip and I am so impressed about the brembro brake. They are so easy to pull, they are so good to handle and very responsive. Now I know what my next project will be.

I read to switch the front brakes should be simple, new calipers, new rotors and a new master cylinder. But what do I need for replacing the rear brake? Is the rear rotor the same like the front, how about with the rear master cylinder? What else do I have to consider?

Beyound this I still have a hydraulic clutch on my shelf to replace the heavy to pull standard clutch. Can I use the Vrod clutch master cylinder?

Looking foward for some good tips and advise.

Frank

Old 06-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Can't help with the hydraulic clutch question.

As for the fronts, you'll need a new brake lever to go with the Brembo m/c. Also, unless you already have stainless brake lines, you'll want to swap out the rubber OEM lines for the '08 and newer plastic (?) lines, or install stainless. The Brembo system is a higher pressure system than what you now have. I also swapped out the OEM chrome clutch perch for the '08 and newer version so the levers would match.

I did the front brake Brembo conversion but left the OEM rear alone. My reasoning was I was very happy to have greater front braking capability, but didn't want more rear braking because I was concerned that I could more easily lock up the rear wheel with the Brembo rear caliper/rotor creating the possibility of a high side crash (i.e. lock up the rear wheel; bike's rear swings out; rear brake released; and, the bike high sides as the rear swings violently into alignment with the front wheel.)

Carl

Old 06-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm with Carl. Did the front conversion, left the rear brake alone, mostly because I didn't feel the rear brake needed as much help as the front.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:19 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got the front calipers, pads & hose you need in the classified section and yeah, I wouldn't worry about the rear.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:06 PM
hythomasf
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Back to the rear brake. I went down a very steep hill with 14-15%. I checked the brake force of the rear brake and I had to push very hard to feel any braking. And I wasn't sure how close I was to lock the rear wheel up. On the other side a brembo rear brake generated much better braking force while riding two up and without activating the ABS.

Overall I want now better braking performance on the fron and rear wheel. It is better look the rear wheel for a moment than not being able to stop fast enough.

Therefore any advice for the rear brake change would helpful.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:09 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by hythomasf
Back to the rear brake. I went down a very steep hill with 14-15%. I checked the brake force of the rear brake and I had to push very hard to feel any braking. And I wasn't sure how close I was to lock the rear wheel up. On the other side a brembo rear brake generated much better braking force while riding two up and without activating the ABS.

Overall I want now better braking performance on the fron and rear wheel. It is better look the rear wheel for a moment than not being able to stop fast enough.

Therefore any advice for the rear brake change would helpful.
You can find many fine write-ups on this forum. Many helpful members here

Search and there is several photo how-to so it is easy. The best part is when you can remove your rear Brembo and clean out your pistons filled with sticky brake dust without removing your brake bracket as well as removing the axle. I have done many for customers and no one had anything but praise!

Old 06-06-2011, 05:25 PM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front end is an easy job; the Brembo rotor bolts on the old wheel, calipers bolt onto the fork, and the new master cylinder clamps right on. You'll need a new front brake line too, as the new system builds more pressure. The newer brake line is more of a hard plastic compared to the older rubber hose.

The rear end is a little different. I put a rear Brembo rotor on my old wheel, but the caliper needed to be honed out from 25mm to slip over a 1" axle. You'll also need a 0.710" spacer to replace the thicker stock one between the wheel and the caliper arm at the axle - there is an aftermarket spacer this size available. Here's the bugger on the rear end - the new rear Brembo master cylinder won't bolt onto your older frame without some modification to the frame. I used an old style master cylinder for the rear. It doesn't seem to develop the pressure the Brembo rear caliper is expecting, but it works well enough. The Brembo rear master cylinder has a 5/8" piston, while the older ones use 11/16", so it is a little different, but after bleeding it out it feels ok. You would also need to get a 2008+ brake pedal to line up with a Brembo master if you go that route. And again, you'll need a new brake line for the rear. I used an aftermarket line designed for the older bikes like my 2004. It would have been better if the rear banjo fitting was 90° as it would have laid into the Brembo rear caliper much better.

Of course, all the Harley Brembo braking systems use DOT 4 brake fluid, and Harley used DOT 5 (silicone) prior to 2005 (I think). You do NOT want to mix the two, else you'll create a caustic goo that rots out the system from the inside. I went so far as to buy a used 2007 rear master knowing it always had DOT4 in it, and that it would bolt/screw right onto my 2004 frame.

All in all, the bike stops MUCH better, and the brake squeal is finally gone for good. This Brembo upgrade was easily one of the best mods I've done to the bike, but I'm not sure the rear end is worth the effort. It's really the front end that does all the work.

My 2004 factory clutch was a bear. Not sure about a hydraulic clutch, but for about $50 I got the EZ Clutch kit (from Zonotti?) with the new ramps & softer diaphragm spring. I also used the newer style clutch perch to match the Brembo brake lever. That EZ Clutch kit makes a world of difference, much much easier to pull, and the whole kit is pretty easy to install. $50 very well spent.

Good Luck!
JR

Last edited by JR-Boston; 06-06-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Gdub
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this on my v rod. The rear you would need a caliper, rotor, new line, or flush the existing really good, and a new rear master. On my v rod because of the axle change I had to make a spacer so the caliper would mount around the axle correctly. I am not sure if this is the same on a roadking or not.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put Brembo discs, rotors and pads (not the dual pad set-up) and Harley stainless brake lines on the front of my 03. Two finger braking, fantastic control, no sponginess and very good stopping power. I used the Brembo conversion kit as advertised on their site. It was matched to my 03 and I did not have to put on a new master cylinder. Along with the big bore kit, the best change i have made to my machine. I left the rear stock for the reasons quoted.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:22 PM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But what do I need for replacing the rear brake? Is the rear rotor the same like the front, how about with the rear master cylinder? What else do I have to consider?

Email me at lkingen@ gmail.com and I will send you a write up I did on converting the rear

Beyound this I still have a hydraulic clutch on my shelf to replace the heavy to pull standard clutch. Can I use the Vrod clutch master cylinder.

Yes that is what I did on my 03 Road King as it matched the master cylinder on the Brimbo brake

Quick Reply: Brembo Brakes