Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brembo Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 01:05 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

use some thing that works well like www.lyndallracingbrakes.com

Last edited by TWIN CAM 96; 06-17-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:26 PM
sylnt103
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket spacer

Where would I get this aftermarket spacer from?

Originally Posted by JR-Boston
Front end is an easy job; the Brembo rotor bolts on the old wheel, calipers bolt onto the fork, and the new master cylinder clamps right on. You'll need a new front brake line too, as the new system builds more pressure. The newer brake line is more of a hard plastic compared to the older rubber hose.

The rear end is a little different. I put a rear Brembo rotor on my old wheel, but the caliper needed to be honed out from 25mm to slip over a 1" axle. You'll also need a 0.710" spacer to replace the thicker stock one between the wheel and the caliper arm at the axle - there is an aftermarket spacer this size available. Here's the bugger on the rear end - the new rear Brembo master cylinder won't bolt onto your older frame without some modification to the frame. I used an old style master cylinder for the rear. It doesn't seem to develop the pressure the Brembo rear caliper is expecting, but it works well enough. The Brembo rear master cylinder has a 5/8" piston, while the older ones use 11/16", so it is a little different, but after bleeding it out it feels ok. You would also need to get a 2008+ brake pedal to line up with a Brembo master if you go that route. And again, you'll need a new brake line for the rear. I used an aftermarket line designed for the older bikes like my 2004. It would have been better if the rear banjo fitting was 90° as it would have laid into the Brembo rear caliper much better.

Of course, all the Harley Brembo braking systems use DOT 4 brake fluid, and Harley used DOT 5 (silicone) prior to 2005 (I think). You do NOT want to mix the two, else you'll create a caustic goo that rots out the system from the inside. I went so far as to buy a used 2007 rear master knowing it always had DOT4 in it, and that it would bolt/screw right onto my 2004 frame.

All in all, the bike stops MUCH better, and the brake squeal is finally gone for good. This Brembo upgrade was easily one of the best mods I've done to the bike, but I'm not sure the rear end is worth the effort. It's really the front end that does all the work.

My 2004 factory clutch was a bear. Not sure about a hydraulic clutch, but for about $50 I got the EZ Clutch kit (from Zonotti?) with the new ramps & softer diaphragm spring. I also used the newer style clutch perch to match the Brembo brake lever. That EZ Clutch kit makes a world of difference, much much easier to pull, and the whole kit is pretty easy to install. $50 very well spent.

Good Luck!
JR

Old 03-20-2015, 07:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by sylnt103
Where would I get this aftermarket spacer from?
Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. I got mine from a fellow member who had two made up, which doesn't help much! It is not a standard part and I haven't seen anyone offer them for sale. You will need a competent shop to enlarge the hole in the caliper mount and they should be able to machine a suitable spacer for you.