Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monkey bars 10" or 12"

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 05:48 PM
cfabrizio
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monkey bars 10" or 12"

So I ordered the 10" bars for "batwing" bikes a month and some change ago and have now been told another three weeks before they ship. I don't want to get into a "business model" discussion, I am growing impatient as I have a huge order of parts I am trying to install but want to do it all in one shot to save me the money and time.

With all that, I have found some people that have the 12" monkey bars in stock and are contemplating it since my patience is getting the best of me. Since my time waiting people have told me that I would regret the 10s and to go with 12s. So my question is, has anyone gone from 10 to 12 or vise versa and what was your reasoning? Do your hands sit far enough above the fairing that you loose the wind protection of it (cold weather riding)? I am 6' and just know I don't like the stock bars.

Thanks for the help...

Old 06-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Hydroboy35th
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im 6"1' and the 12 yaffe bars fit me perfect, go with the 12's you wont regret it, also if you have TBW buy the SE TBW tube it makes running the wires inside alot easier. and yes you'll need wire extensions for 12's

Old 06-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Hoblick
Road Captain

im running the 10" on mine and love them.

both the 10" and 12" will both put your hands above the fairing. 10" will just barley put you there, but you are exposed to the wind, if you roll them back to you some, then you may be low enough to be below the fairing.

im 5' 10" and i have mine pushed all the way to the fairing and love the way the fit me.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoblick
im running the 10" on mine and love them.

both the 10" and 12" will both put your hands above the fairing. 10" will just barley put you there, but you are exposed to the wind, if you roll them back to you some, then you may be low enough to be below the fairing.

im 5' 10" and i have mine pushed all the way to the fairing and love the way the fit me.
+1 on the 10's but you can't go wrong with either. Both look great. I'm 5'11" about a quarter short of 6.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:09 PM
ScottyPotty
Cruiser

I wanted 12" but settled on 10" bars because of the deal I got. I figured I could always run 2" risers if I felt I needed them.

I do like the 10" but I keep wondering if 12" would have been better? I'm 6' tall.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:32 PM
OutdoorJoe
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hydroboy35th
Im 6"1' and the 12 yaffe bars fit me perfect, go with the 12's you wont regret it, also if you have TBW buy the SE TBW tube it makes running the wires inside alot easier. and yes you'll need wire extensions for 12's
Definatly go with the 12's you will be much happier. However you are correct you will have no protection from the elements as your hands will be just above the fairing. (small price to pay for the look, feel and comfort of these bars)

You will not need wire extensions as is said above. Simply re-route the wires in the fairing to go down and around the radio and you will have plenty of room. Do a seach of this forum and you will find numerous other people who have done this and will tell you the same thing. +8 Clutch + 6 Brake Wire extensions not needed

Old 06-05-2011, 09:41 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydroboy35th
Hey dude what's the PN for the SE TBW tube? I couldnt find it...

Old 06-05-2011, 11:36 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the 12's, after that you will wish you went even higher. Yes your hands are slightly above the fairing, but if it's that cold you should have gloves on anyway. Also you do not need any wire extensions. +6 on brake and clutch cable

Old 06-06-2011, 08:43 AM
julesdain
Road Captain

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Kesean
+1 on the 10's but you can't go wrong with either. Both look great. I'm 5'11" about a quarter short of 6.
+2 on the 10's. I think you'll be happy either way. I didn't need any wire extensions but I did have to get another clutch cable. When I cranked the bars over too far it would pull on the stock cable and engage the clutch a bit to the point I couldn't drive. I do like having my hands out of the elements.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 AM
EastSideBikerTrash
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been trying to decide on whether to wait on the 10s or go ahead and get the 12s myself since they are in staock and available from several places. It would be nice to actually have a chance to ride a bike with each one. I ran into someone that had the 14s and they were to much for me.

FWIW, I wouldn't cancel the order for the 10s. You can probably sell them and make a profit from someone who is willing to pay for not having to wait. If they are black I'm interested if you decide to go with the 12s.

Dave

Quick Reply: Monkey bars 10" or 12"