Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 Deg Lower Oil Temps in a Minute.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:03 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by FLPostman
Thanks for the pic!! That's not so bad--looks like it was meant to be. Does the plastic cover just snap off-or screwed on. Haven't looked yet- but that's sure an option..

Postman
Literally 5 seconds to get it off. Just pull at the bottom and then there are two plastic clips holding the top.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:11 PM
alkrisma
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLPostman
Thanks for the pic!! That's not so bad--looks like it was meant to be. Does the plastic cover just snap off-or screwed on. Haven't looked yet- but that's sure an option..
yes, plastic snaps off real easy but chrome requires voltage reg to be lifted out of the way

Old 06-05-2011, 08:16 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the HD oil cooler and there's a chrome cover that frames the cooler...I installed a fan kit behind the cooler and get forced air even if the bike is not moving. The oild coolers have a thermost in them that regulates when oil flows thru the cooler so it may be difficult to actually guage the impact of any mod.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:21 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by FDHOG
Take the damn plastic housing off your Oil Cooler. Cleaning my bike this morning, I noticed that there isn't a lot of surface area exposed on the stock HD cooler on my 103. In 2 seconds I snapped off the plastic housing and exposed the whole cooler. Today, I was running an average of 10 degrees cooler than what I normally was. The housing was preventing the heat from dissipating. What the purpose of this plastic housing is, other than looks, is beyond me.
Now, with the whole cooler exposed, it works better.
taking mine it get hot here in the south

Old 06-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master

A HD cooler thought. If your core gets damaged, the factory has replacement cores. Had a damaged unit replaced once.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:48 PM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, great idea.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:01 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not buying that they work to begin with. Going down the road they are not needed, and sitting in traffic with no air blowing over it it's useless. But if they make you feel better..................

Old 06-06-2011, 12:27 AM
vtwin1340
Club Member

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
Not buying that they work to begin with. Going down the road they are not needed, and sitting in traffic with no air blowing over it it's useless. But if they make you feel better..................
Not true. It is increased surface area that will radiate off heat. It is not as effective without airflow at speed, but it still radiates off heat. It also will help to reduce heat build up faster when you do get back up to speed and increase airflow over the unit. To say that they don't help is BS. Whether they are needed or not is another issue. The engineers that design the 103 think that they are. I am sure they have plenty of data (actual scientific data) to support their use.

Last edited by vtwin1340; 06-06-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:07 AM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
I have the HD oil cooler and there's a chrome cover that frames the cooler...I installed a fan kit behind the cooler and get forced air even if the bike is not moving. The oild coolers have a thermost in them that regulates when oil flows thru the cooler so it may be difficult to actually guage the impact of any mod.

Is the fan kit a HD product? I didn't know a fan was available for the HD oil coolers.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:29 AM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep HD sells a parade fan kit. Spendy though. If I remember right it's south of $300.

Last edited by klaybus; 06-06-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 10 Deg Lower Oil Temps in a Minute.