Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hella headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Strick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hella headlight question

I just purchased a '10 street glide that has a Hella headlight. As a rule I never ride at night. I don't like the way it looks, so I went to swap it out with the stock headlight that the prior owner gave me. Does the Hella have its' own wiring harness permenantly attached to the bulb? I have taken it out twice and tried to remove the bulb attachment (plug) and can't. I have changed bulbs on Harleys in the past and it is just a 3 prong female plug that plugs in to the bulb.

HELP!

thanks guys

Old 06-05-2011, 03:16 PM
pedallingfool
Cruiser

Check the 3 prong connector and make sure you're pressing the "lock" if it has one (it prevents the plug from coming loose riding/vibration)?

Old 06-05-2011, 06:21 PM
asandler
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you want to change back to the stock headlamp unit, which has a plastic reflector, that produces an inferior beam pattern, and hence poorer visibility. I changed to a Hella headlight for this reason. Throw in a superior bulb (I have a Phillips +80), and you will have a really good beam pattern at night, and you will be more visible during the day!
Check out the thread Daniel Stern Lighting. He advocates a Cibie unit, but I had difficulty locating one. Hella, Bosch and Cibie all make superior products.
The headlamp units are a standard car unit, and accept H4 bulbs.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:49 PM
ThunderBueller
Road Master

Originally Posted by asandler
Why would you want to change back to the stock headlamp unit, which has a plastic reflector, that produces an inferior beam pattern, and hence poorer visibility. I changed to a Hella headlight for this reason. Throw in a superior bulb (I have a Phillips +80), and you will have a really good beam pattern at night, and you will be more visible during the day!
Check out the thread Daniel Stern Lighting. He advocates a Cibie unit, but I had difficulty locating one. Hella, Bosch and Cibie all make superior products.
The headlamp units are a standard car unit, and accept H4 bulbs.
Absolutely!!! There's no way I'd put a crappy stock headlight back in because it "looks" better! I can guarantee the Hella WORKS way better than that stock POS.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Strick
Cruiser

I got it all dialed!

I had a feeling I would get these responses. I have a question for the 2 posters. What jacket do you where (if any when you ride), and what type of helmet?

Last edited by Strick; 06-05-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Strick
Cruiser

Originally Posted by pedallingfool
Check the 3 prong connector and make sure you're pressing the "lock" if it has one (it prevents the plug from coming loose riding/vibration)?
Thanks for your input. I did get it figured out and the stock (good looking) headlamp is re-installed!

Old 06-05-2011, 08:10 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer

WOW!!
Now you're not allowed to put stuff BACK on your bike that you find better looking. I need to see the list of accessories that I'm allowed to have.

Chill...........................

1HarleyGuy1

Old 06-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Strick
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1HarleyGuy1
WOW!!
Now you're not allowed to put stuff BACK on your bike that you find better looking. I need to see the list of accessories that I'm allowed to have.

Chill...........................

1HarleyGuy1
thanks for the support!

Old 06-07-2011, 03:39 AM
asandler
Intermediate

What the hell does helmet choice, and jacket choice have to do with headlights? For your info, I do ride, and have been riding for 51 years, and have owned 26 motorcycles. If you want to install a POS headlight because it looks good, instead of one that works, go for it, mate.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:33 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

putting in an E-code hella headlight was one of the first mods i made when i bought my 08 streetglide new. they're far better than the stock harley headlight housing. the stock harley housing has a chrome plated plastic back with clear glass front. the hella is all glass and does not get that smokey look to it after it's been in use for a while. the E-code headlights are far superior to what comes on the stock harleys. i found the best price for the 7" round E-code headlight at susquehanna motorsports. right around 50 bucks and a great improvement because the light actually goes down your lane rather than being splattered all over the place like the stock headlight.

Quick Reply: Hella headlight question