Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back to Stock Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 06:31 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

Every bike I have ever owned from Crotch Rocket to HDs I always did a muffler up-grade. For performance,not just to be loud. I don't like loud & until 07 I never really did any road trips over 1,500 miles. But since then it all stock exhaust for me. I think V&H & BUB make exhaust that are EPA approved. You might want to check them out. Good Luck. I just wonder how many other guys like the stock exhaust sound. I even wear earplugs now,but that's mostly because of the wind & my HD Half helmet.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Longsnowsm
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just changed too many pipes over the years with bikes I have owned to go down that road again changing pipes. I love the way the aftermarket pipes look, but it just isn't worth the extra noise, hassles, and poorer fuel economy to make it worth it to me.

The last 2 bikes I have own I have kept the stock setup and never regretted it. I intend to do the same thing with this bike. I will leave the pipes, maps and all of it completely stock and spend my money on creature comforts and toys so that I can enjoy the ride even more. No more loud pipes for me. Frankly I don't think the stock pipes on my bike sound that bad. Just enough grunt to put a smile on my face when I get a heavy wrist, but still hear the radio and not go deaf in the process.

Longsnowsm

Old 06-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw a TV show, I think it called Twist the Throttle or something like that where they showed a shop who would take and modify the stock mufflers with different choices of baffles depending on how loud or quite you wanted them. If memory serves me correctly, I think the cost was around $ 150.00 to modify a stock muffler. Maybe someone knows the name of the company.

Update: The company is American Custom Exhaust Systems AND they are one of our sponsors. Check out the side panel on the right of our page for their site.

Last edited by Terrabella; 06-06-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Added web site
Old 06-05-2011, 07:31 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 06-05-2011, 11:41 PM
flattracker60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think my buddies Monster Ovals are pretty quiet pipes.

I HAD a Pro Pipe on my '10 Ultra, sold and got Jamies 4" JP's.......almost perfect.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:13 AM
Robert_W
Tourer

I had V&H Oval slip-ons for a while. Went back to stock and didn't like the reduced throttle response from the engine. Went to Supertrapp Fatshots and I am now a happy camper. They are quiet, not silent, and I like the performance from them.

Ride safe,

Bob.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:25 AM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you take the baffles out of your Wild Pigs, you can wrap them with a baffle wrap and quiet them down quite a bit. I bought my wrap from a Yamaha dealer for about 10.00 and made them too quiet for my wife so pulled it back off.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:55 AM
racerxdan
Novice

Have an 2002 FLHTCI, big bore,headwork,andrews21g cam, V&H 4"slip on's,power commander, dynoed with custom map, as I got older the loudeness really started to bother the wife and I on long trips ..
I took a couple of sets of stock mufflers and played around a bit,

1st try I drilled the hole in each disc (one ea end of ea muffler)out a little bigger, really made no diff in sound.

2nd try on the engine side if you take a flashlight you can see two holes,(not the small disc) I drilled them a little bigger and added two more holes opposite of the exsisting ones, this made them a little louder.

3rd try I took a 1 1/8" hole saw completely removed the disc on the back end and drilled the front disc to 1/2'' opening both sides, sounds really good when you lay into it and I can hear my radio and talk with the wife at 70 with no real trouble, they dont sound to bad at at idle or low speed but hey, for the cost of a hole saw, I really cant complain. I rode 250miles have not noticed a big diff in performance, as I have not had it remapped for the more restrcitive mufflers, and dont think that I need to.

I took another set gutted them, sounded way too loud!!!, ran like Chit!!! not the way to go

Last edited by racerxdan; 06-06-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: error
Old 06-06-2011, 12:31 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

I went from Rineharts (3"?) to a set of extremely crappy modded stockers from some dude on Ebay. They were junk and one of the baffles fell out. So, next I found a set of CVO's on Ebay. I loved the way the Rineharts sounded on the freeway but they were way too loud in town, especially when I leave at o'dark-thirty in the morning for work. The CVO's were a huge change, seem to be a tad louder than stock and flow very well for my riding style.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand the whole ear-ringing thing from your own pipes. I've been riding my whole life and have never experienced this.

For one thing, the sound is emulated out the pipes behind you, under the bags on touring bikes. They're not pointed at your head.

Like I said, could be just me. I do, however, occasionally wear earplugs on long rides for fatigue purposes only, not because of the noise.

Quick Reply: Back to Stock Pipes?