Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MP3 player

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 12:55 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Default RE: MP3 player

Joe - how do you have your's mounted?

I looked at the Harley MP3 - but decided to use my IPOD instead. used a RAM mount - cost about $45 to do this. Then, I simply plug the IPOD directly into the aux line in.

Old 07-10-2005, 02:18 AM
jlacasci
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't purchased it yet, and probably won't just yet. Since the cruise control switch is under the main housing it's clear that the mp3 will mount as shown. I'm just not sure why the web site indicates that it won't install. I've spent so much $$$ lately that I may just hold off for a bit. Just picked up the bike today from the dealer.

1000 mile service,
Stage 1 kit (filter, SE slip on's remap)
and the Road Tech Quest installed by HD (3 hours of labor).
Couple pieces of chrome and a wet gear outfit. Dropped a total of around 2700.00 today!!! I'm done for a bit.

Joe

Old 07-10-2005, 10:35 AM
NH_FLTRI
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cycle, do you have a picture of the MP3 player mounted? I have been thinking about putting on on my R. Glide. When using the AUX, plug on the radio, does only the volume control work? Or does the track skip thumb control button work too? Just curious how you skip tracks on the MP3 player, hand controls or on the mp3 player itself?

Old 07-10-2005, 08:52 PM
wild1
Cruiser

I dont have a picture of mine mounted but can take one if needed. As soon as the mp3 player is plugged into the radio the radio knows and will give you the aux funtion when swtiching through the mode selection. The controls for the mp3 are on the player. Trust me it works fine on the ultra. I am not sure why the catalog says it wont. If you look at the pitcures above you can see it doesnt interfere with the cruise control. I think there must be another cruise control out there to add on to bikes without it stock as the ultra does. It would mount the same way the mp3 player mounts.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:24 PM
y2kfs68
Intermediate

Which RAM mount did you use? They seem to offfer quite a few. Thanks

Old 07-14-2005, 12:28 AM
Feroce
Cruiser

The part numbers Harley is listing that the MP3 player will not work with

"P/N 70256-02" is a "Black Right-Auxiliary Accessory Switch Housing"

and "70255-02A" is a "KIT, AUX. ACCESSORY HSG" and I think is discontinued.

Cruise Control Kit P/N (77165-98) has been discontinued from our supplier and we are sold out.
Cruise Control Kit P/N (77166-98) has been discontinued from our supplier and we are sold out.

The part number for the new cruise control is P/N 77196-04.

So the MP3 player will not work with the OLD cruise control kit but I think it should work with the new cruise control.

To look up part numbers go to http://www.hmhd.com

My $0.02 worth.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:11 PM
jlacasci
Tourer

After much to do on this I finally made a decision on an MP3 player. I didn't go with the HD one for 299.00. I saw one installed on a bike and although it looked nice I wasn't crazy about a couple of things. The guy had HD install it it cost him over 400.00 with labor and the player. Even with this, it still needed the aux wire plugged in. He was told that there's no way to hook it up interanally.

Anyway, I went with an iRiver 512Meg player, it does "everything" MP3, WMA, direct copy from any music source, uses a sinle AA. The thing weighes maybe 2 ounces and it's size is maybe 2.5 inches long, 1.25 inches high and 1 inch deep (signal to noise ration is 90db). It has no moving parts and works and sounds fantastic on the bike! It even comes with a neck strap and arm band, USB 2, aux cable etc... I'm able to use the arm band to attach right above the radio controls on the right side of the bike. Very easy to use on the bike with my thumb, you can leave the arm band in place and remove the player in a second or two. Very cool and can be found for 110.00 - 130.00 dollars.

iRiver IFP-795

Thanks for all of the info,
Joe

Old 07-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Dino3981
Advanced

I have the HD MP3 player installed on my 03 Ultra, first I'd like to tell you my reasoning for choosing the HD MP3 player. It can be operated from the handlebars, waterproof and looks clean. I totally agree with everyones opinions for choosing the Non HD MP3 players but for me the HD one met my needs. There are many MP3 players out the for less money that have more storage space and a ton more features. Personally I don't want to be fumbling around looking in folders while I'm riding so in my case simplicity was what I wanted. I purchased mine on EBay for over $100 less than HD charges. installed it myself and bought a 512MB SD card.

Now for the fit, the part numbers HD refers to are add-on switches and add-on cruise. You simply remove the two screws and the from clamp for master cylinder housing and use the back of MP3 player as the clamp using two new screws provided. Then the MP3 player mounts over the top of the backing plate. I could have described this a bit out of order since it's been a month or so since I installed it but you should get the point. Anyway as long as you have not installed any add-on switches or cruise and only have the OEM controls and switches it will work.

I also recommend Hogtunes speakers.

Dino

Old 07-14-2005, 11:47 PM
Big Ted
Road Master

Anyone ever seen one of these before? Sweet GPS unit with Color, 3D, touch screen and a built-in 10gig MP3 Player.

Here is a link:
http://www.lowrance.com/Automotive/P...s/iWAY500C.asp

[IMG]local://upfiles/3128/DBA3849D9D474BF3933A26B1593CCEA3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-15-2006, 12:24 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

any idea why HD says it is not compativle with Windshield Pouch P/N 58900-98B. "? I have a '07 Ultra with the pouches installed on the windshield. Certainly can not see why the HD MP3 player wouldn't work with these pouches installed. Anyone using these pouches and the HD player?

Quick Reply: MP3 player