Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlemen Road Sofa Touring Seat

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 09:30 PM
dspencer
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Saddlemen Road Sofa Touring Seat

Does anyone have any experience with this touring seat from Saddlemen? I saw it on one of the websites and it looks real comfortable. I tried the stock, mustang, and sundowner and didn't really like any of them so I went back to the stock one. The corbin is a little pricey for me. Just curious if any of you guys have one and if you like it. Thanks
Darrell

Old 10-31-2006, 11:01 PM
plamb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Saddlemen Road Sofa Touring Seat

No expereince, but curious.

How much? Their website doesn't list prices...

http://www.saddlemen.com/roadsofa.html

Old 10-31-2006, 11:18 PM
dspencer
Road Captain

They vary. For the seat with gel, it runs around 449 bucks. However, a harley backrest won't work with it. If you want one, have to buy it too..that adds probably about 75 or 100 bucks. Eglide goodies has them but other distributors have them. They look good. If I find more out, will post it.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:49 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I, too would be curious. If you or anyone else tries one, post the results.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:54 PM
t_m34
Tourer

I'm not sure about this seat exactly but I had a Saddleman gel touring seat on my softtail. It was big and ugly, but incredibly comfortable. I could sit on that sucker all day long with no issues. I don't know about this one your talking about, but the one I had had a really deep bucket and lots of back support. It was pretty impressive. My wife liked it, too.

If I could have I would have kept it for my Roadking, but softtail seats, of course, won't fit on tourers.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Norskie
Advanced

I have one with the gel pads and it is great. I've riden it about 1,000 miles and it really feels good. The only problem I have is I made a mistake and ordered it without the backrest so I'll have to put my old seat with the backrest back on (bad back). I don't think you would be disappointed with it. Another nice feature is that it came with a matching cover to put over the passenger/trunk backrest.
Ray J.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:14 PM
dspencer
Road Captain

thanks for the feedback...I may try one. I want to look around and see if I can find a deal on one.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:23 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I had a saddleman seat on my dyna, looked great but very uncomfortable. Would not by another one.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Icepickvic
Cruiser

The saddlemen is a 2 piece seat, with the back support part detached from the actual riding seat, so it doesn't round the back of your butt if you like to sit straight. They're supoposed to be comfortable; I doubt the dude uncomfortable on the dyna had the road sofa.
I have no meat on my ***, and am looking for a replacement for my r/g...I've been making do sitting on the stock seat with a split schwinn bicycle gel seat in the middle of it. It's ok for a couple of hours, so I've been looking for a seat for some time now.
I have heard that the saddlemen gel gets hot....very hot, and you will have to throw a sheepskin on it, and I don't know how their foam measures up to corbins. It's either I get the saddlemen; the corbin; or a russell daylong- with the springs in it.
They're all expensive, but when you're on the 2nd day into a week trip, and you're *** nerves are numb, and your legs fall asleep, what's the safety and comfort worth? Like quality weatherproof riding gear, I figure you will get what you pay for.
Only problem with buying one of these seats, is finding out it doesn't suit you, and being stuck with giving someone else a bargain, then going through it again.
I didn't make Americade this year unfortunately, because corbin; mustang; and saddlemen all attend there and you can try the seats right on your bike before you choose one, which is important. I found for example, that the mustang touring seat I tried at sturgis pushed me too far forward, so strike that one.
The corbin comes in rainbow colours and leathers..heated even. They will work with you a little to adjust them, but the last time I was in daytona minus my bike, they didn't have a mount, so I couldn't even sit on it. luckily I found someone while riding who has one... they're solid, but I found the seat not very wide, particularly if you are a 'thigh supported sitter', and the back portion was rounded.
The russell people are not very common, but their seats are handmade to fit you on your particular bike from photos you have to send in....apparently that's what a lot of iron butt guys use http://www.day-long.com/

I've yet to talk to someone about how the airbladders of the HD road zeppelin air seat react to cold (or sharp items), and I've seen one, but didn't get to test it...and the dealers don't carry them in stock, so you can't sit on one. I did hear one guy complain that the air compressor for it was constantly running. They are by far the widest of the bunch.
Find someone with the different styles you like, then sit on them and see if they're ergonomically and anatomically correct for you...before you go and order seats and backrests and so on.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:38 AM
dspencer
Road Captain

I agree with you..finding them to try out is the problem. I sure hate to spend 400 plus bucks, not like it, and then put it out on ebay and trying to recoup a few bucks. I did try the harley tall boy which is 17.5 wide for the rider..it moves you back 1/2 inch and up about an inch. It is a comfortable seat but moved me back just a tad to far for comfortable riding. I gave it to a buddy but I may buy another one plus it is only about 250 bucks. The saddlemen seat is a complete unknown for me and not many have them. If I get one, it will be a shot in the dark. Thanks for the feedback.