Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carb conversion for MM EFI

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:02 PM
adjusterr
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MM to Carb

I have a 97 Roadking with 75,000 miles. The MM EFI has been a disaster since day one, Three HD Dealers have worked on it, three independent shops, incuding a shop whose bikes have set land speed records at Bonneville, and no one could make the thing run right, fluctuating idle, stumble on acceleration, poor mileage, constant cracking and popping from the exhaust. I have had two Power Commanders installed and still junk. About a month ago I was talking to a friend who owns a small shop, Psycle Barn, and he casually suggested we change the system from EFI to carb. Short story, he did the conversion using a used CV carb with a Dyna Jet kit, Dyna 2000 I ignition and coil, a used intake mnanifold, fabricated a choke bracket and modified the aircleaner baseplate. I recently made a hurry up run from Western MD to Knoxville, TN, approx 1000 miles and I could not be happier with the performance. I wish I had done this the day after I bought the bike new. If anyone is interested in a complete MM EFI system, with Power Commander, contact me, I now have a real Harley. If anyone is interested in having the conversion done, contact me, I'll give you the info on Psycle Barn.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by adjusterr
I have a 97 Roadking with 75,000 miles. The MM EFI has been a disaster since day one, Three HD Dealers have worked on it, three independent shops, incuding a shop whose bikes have set land speed records at Bonneville, and no one could make the thing run right, fluctuating idle, stumble on acceleration, poor mileage, constant cracking and popping from the exhaust. I have had two Power Commanders installed and still junk. About a month ago I was talking to a friend who owns a small shop, Psycle Barn, and he casually suggested we change the system from EFI to carb. Short story, he did the conversion using a used CV carb with a Dyna Jet kit, Dyna 2000 I ignition and coil, a used intake mnanifold, fabricated a choke bracket and modified the aircleaner baseplate. I recently made a hurry up run from Western MD to Knoxville, TN, approx 1000 miles and I could not be happier with the performance. I wish I had done this the day after I bought the bike new. If anyone is interested in a complete MM EFI system, with Power Commander, contact me, I now have a real Harley. If anyone is interested in having the conversion done, contact me, I'll give you the info on Psycle Barn.
I got that beat. My '01 came with the "correct download". However it still had problems. I went through two ECMS, a Power Commander II, followed by a Power Commander IIIr, followed by an O2 sensor enrichening gizmo, followed by removal of the PCIIIr and the use of the SE Race Tuner for M&M, and now the Zippers Conversion kit.

I don't know who was more stupid, the two dealerships and one independant shop who all swore they were experts and could get it running right, or me for believing them and spending untold sums of money hoping it could be.

Yes, I know you and I are in the minority, because there are many "Happy" M&M bike owners out there who have "never had a problem" and all the techs they go to know the system and can work on it. That just wasn't the case with me.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:30 AM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you like your zippers conversion? i was eyeballing that yesterday. Its basically just a delphi conversion.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:44 PM
adjusterr
Novice

Originally Posted by Paniolo
I got that beat. My '01 came with the "correct download". However it still had problems. I went through two ECMS, a Power Commander II, followed by a Power Commander IIIr, followed by an O2 sensor enrichening gizmo, followed by removal of the PCIIIr and the use of the SE Race Tuner for M&M, and now the Zippers Conversion kit.

I don't know who was more stupid, the two dealerships and one independant shop who all swore they were experts and could get it running right, or me for believing them and spending untold sums of money hoping it could be.

Yes, I know you and I are in the minority, because there are many "Happy" M&M bike owners out there who have "never had a problem" and all the techs they go to know the system and can work on it. That just wasn't the case with me.
I heard HD is no longer stocking parts for the old MM systems and no longer have the test equipment, I think my MM system was only used a few years. If true, all the more reason to go to the carb. I'm going to check with my friendly dealer re: the rumor about parts and test equip.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by slyder
how do you like your zippers conversion? i was eyeballing that yesterday. Its basically just a delphi conversion.
Well,..... yes and no.

I'm probably ALL wrong on the following, but if I recall all the stuff I have head over the years, Delphi is a Speed Density measured system with a spark knock sensor built in. The Zippers kit is a Throttle Position measured system with NO spark knock sensor. There are arguments about the pros and cons of each, however there is no argument from me as the Zippers kit is working well.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by adjusterr
I heard HD is no longer stocking parts for the old MM systems and no longer have the test equipment, I think my MM system was only used a few years. If true, all the more reason to go to the carb. I'm going to check with my friendly dealer re: the rumor about parts and test equip.
I heard the same thing too. The only M&M guts I have left is the fuel pump and float in the tank.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:58 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard there is going to be a new TMax for the MM soon. I also found a company that makes a SINGLE bore induction module that uses all stock MM parts that claims to solve all the problems for $900.

Did you get the Auto Tune with the Zippers? I think the kit is $1400 and the auto tune another $400.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:59 PM
adjusterr
Novice

I heard there is going to be a new TMax for the MM soon. I also found a company that makes a SINGLE bore induction module that uses all stock MM parts that claims to solve all the problems for $900.

Did you get the Auto Tune with the Zippers? I think the kit is $1400 and the auto tune another $400.
I had my 97 converted to CV carb, all tank guts removed Dyna 200I ignition, bike has never run so well, oil/filter change, full service, new dunlop rear tire, rear master cylinder rebuild and rear caliper cleanup all for $1500. at Psycle Barn in Western MD.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, I got the auto tune unit.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:46 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

http://www.cli-maxridinggear.com/ser...ro-Auto/Detail
460.00 not a bad price. I might try one of these.

Toby

Quick Reply: carb conversion for MM EFI