Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 04:43 PM
xdanman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Bracket

I seemed to have lost one of my 2 transmission exhaust bracket bolts. Has anyone ever replaced with a hex head bolt or done it with the exhaust and heat shields still on?

Old 06-04-2011, 05:04 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're meaning the bracket on the right side of the bike with 2 allen head bolts, I did mine last week. I couldn't see any way to do it with the exhausts on the bike. I removed them and used red lock tight and tightened them. It's not really that big of a job it took me about 1.5 hours. I also replaced the gaskets.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:08 PM
xdanman
Tourer
Default re

Ok, if thats what it takes I will wait till my inner arrives and do the new clutch cable at the same time.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:59 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I didn't lose a bolt but I did remove the bracket to have it powder coated.I was able to do it without removing the exhaust,I just took off the heat shield and used a ball allen wrench.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:03 PM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by xdanman
I seemed to have lost one of my 2 transmission exhaust bracket bolts. Has anyone ever replaced with a hex head bolt or done it with the exhaust and heat shields still on?
The Kastar Intake Manifold Wrench 5530 will take care of the stock exhaust bracket bolts without removing the heat shields or the exhaust pipes. Another member on this board sent me this info and I was able to tighten my bolts with no problem. tooldiscounter.com will ship this wrench to your door for $35.00.

DJK

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Bracket-wrench.jpg  
Old 06-04-2011, 08:02 PM
xdanman
Tourer
Default re

Hmmmm! I use one like that at work! I will bring it home. Thanks

Old 06-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Lass7711
Tourer

I rode with a freind today and he mentioned that he had found a couple of drops of oil on the floor under his 2010 Ultra. After we got back from our ride, we pulled his bike in the shop, put it on the J&S, and pulled the rear heat shield. The two exhaust bracket bolts were so loose, they probably went a full turn before snugging up. This appears to be fairly common.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:56 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very common problem. The ball allen wrench was ok, pretty steep angle though, but I wanted to make sure so I used a dremel and cut off some of the short end of an allen wrench. Perfect fit.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:17 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
Very common problem. The ball allen wrench was ok, pretty steep angle though, but I wanted to make sure so I used a dremel and cut off some of the short end of an allen wrench. Perfect fit.
That's the nice thing about this wrench. No angle whatsoever. The ball Allen end is short enough to fit into the exhaust bracket bolts from underneath with no angle, and the handle is long enough to give you the torque needed to snug them tight.

DJK

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Bracket-wrench.jpg  
Old 06-05-2011, 05:52 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by djkolp
That's the nice thing about this wrench. No angle whatsoever. The ball Allen end is short enough to fit into the exhaust bracket bolts from underneath with no angle, and the handle is long enough to give you the torque needed to snug them tight.

DJK

Yes, sounds like a great tool, works just like shortening the short end of an allen wrench, and it is a ratchet. If it would hold different bits I would pay $30 for it, but the ad said it was 1/4" and didn't sound like it was interchangeable. I can't think of anything other than those two bolts I would use it for. I would rather buy an allen wrench for $1 and cut the end off, but that is just me. I really like having the right tool for the job and I think both will work fine, just a matter of how fancy you want to be and how much money you want to spend.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Bracket