Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes, I AM opening this can of worms! (HD Stage 1 Download)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Yes, I AM opening this can of worms! (HD Stage 1 Download)

OK, so here's the deal: I love my new Ultra Classic, but the motor wheezes just a bit at mid-rpm's - need a bit more air and fuel.

I'm not thinking about a full aftermarket Stage 1 kit, but I'm looking at the HD Ventilator air intake and the ECM download.

I know, I know.... Fuelmoto, V&H, etc make great Stage 1 options, but I'm not interested in all that. I like the stock pipes just fine, thank you, and the kit I'm thinking about is quite reasonable in cost for what I think would be a measurable performance improvement.

So here's the question: Does HD market the Stage 1 download for the stock ECM anymore? The P&A catalog seems to "hint" that it is available, but I seem to recall someone saying that they stopped marketing it and now only have the more expensive Street Tuner or Super Tuner.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:08 PM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can still get them from the dealer. Its no longer an add-on module, its an actual software download to the ECM. The dealer will charge you for the software and about an hour labor to reprogram your ECM.

That said, I wouldn't count on it doing much to richen your mixture. Its an HD product and they still have to stay within EPA guidelines, which means you will still be running lean. It does make a few changes and raises the RPM limit to 6200, but nothing with the mixture compared to what a tuner would do.

When I looked at doing it the cost was somewhere around $200 give or take. Decided against it because of the cost vs. what it did. Added another $99 and got a PC-V from Fuelmoto with their map.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:11 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the "factory" stage 1 download (along with the SE high-flow) and I have to say, I wasn't expecting as much "performance enhancement" that I got out of that (and removing the cat - But that download changed everything in a nice way).

Old 06-04-2011, 04:33 PM
dyna105
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

If and when you have the stage 1 download done. Don't forget the Xied's.....Made a big difference for me.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:46 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

The past two years I have been running a hi flow air cleaner and duals on my 08 with just the XIED's. Had a little extra cash this winter so I did the Stage 1 download from the dealer, wished I had done it sooner. Very pleased with the increase in performance...mone well spent.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:11 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by barrygreen
The past two years I have been running a hi flow air cleaner and duals on my 08 with just the XIED's. Had a little extra cash this winter so I did the Stage 1 download from the dealer, wished I had done it sooner. Very pleased with the increase in performance...mone well spent.
Did you leave the XIED'S attached?

Old 06-04-2011, 06:42 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by barrygreen
+1... get the download to raise rev limiter and a better spark table. Then add the download XIEDS to skew the O2 signal and therefore a richer mix... good combo. But make sure this all you want to do though, as the money could be spent toward a SEPST through which you could do both the afr, timing, and a whole lot more now and down the road.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:15 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RK09RK
+1... get the download to raise rev limiter and a better spark table. Then add the download XIEDS to skew the O2 signal and therefore a richer mix... good combo. But make sure this all you want to do though, as the money could be spent toward a SEPST through which you could do both the afr, timing, and a whole lot more now and down the road.
Seems to me that by the time you added the download and XIED's you could have installed a PC with the capability of tuning upgrades.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pastor John
OK, so here's the deal: I love my new Ultra Classic, but the motor wheezes just a bit at mid-rpm's - need a bit more air and fuel.

I'm not thinking about a full aftermarket Stage 1 kit, but I'm looking at the HD Ventilator air intake and the ECM download.

I know, I know.... Fuelmoto, V&H, etc make great Stage 1 options, but I'm not interested in all that. I like the stock pipes just fine, thank you, and the kit I'm thinking about is quite reasonable in cost for what I think would be a measurable performance improvement.

So here's the question: Does HD market the Stage 1 download for the stock ECM anymore? The P&A catalog seems to "hint" that it is available, but I seem to recall someone saying that they stopped marketing it and now only have the more expensive Street Tuner or Super Tuner.
If you have any question's about the DL, Call Marty Ferro at Mtn Creek HD in Dalton. He is an honest guy and one of the best service manager's around. I think they are rated number 1 in the district.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:29 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Yes download with XIEDS

Quick Reply: Yes, I AM opening this can of worms! (HD Stage 1 Download)