Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Hot Rear exhaust? HELP!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 07:53 PM
J-Rod75
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Hot Rear exhaust? HELP!?!?!

I recently put on a SE Stage I air filter kit, v&h big radius and PCV (tuned for these add ons and my 103 by Fuelmotousa). The bike has some poppin after it is warm (not too bad and tried to retorque the flange bolts and will try to replace the gaskets if it doesn't help--I'm hearing 2 Screamin Eagle exhaust gaskets are the best????? that seems to be the consensus I've found with searching. But tonight...after coming home from work I found that my rear exhaust pipe (coming out of the head...below the flange) was orange/red hot and glowing--the front cylinder didn't have this. I'm wondering if anyone else has these problems? Thanks a bunch...I'm stuck here....I don't want to damage the motor for certain....I mean I have an open filter....and I have the map....??? help please.....

Old 06-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,026 Likes on 7,306 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Rod75
I recently put on a SE Stage I air filter kit, v&h big radius and PCV (tuned for these add ons and my 103 by Fuelmotousa). The bike has some poppin after it is warm (not too bad and tried to retorque the flange bolts and will try to replace the gaskets if it doesn't help--I'm hearing 2 Screamin Eagle exhaust gaskets are the best????? that seems to be the consensus I've found with searching. But tonight...after coming home from work I found that my rear exhaust pipe (coming out of the head...below the flange) was orange/red hot and glowing--the front cylinder didn't have this. I'm wondering if anyone else has these problems? Thanks a bunch...I'm stuck here....I don't want to damage the motor for certain....I mean I have an open filter....and I have the map....??? help please.....
My first thought is that you are running VERY lean. I would call FuelMoto for assistance.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:07 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
My first thought is that you are running VERY lean. I would call FuelMoto for assistance.
+1

Old 06-03-2011, 08:43 PM
J-Rod75
Cruiser

Damn...I was afraid it was too lean.....hope it isn't much more than a map issue....

Old 06-03-2011, 08:51 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Rod75
Damn...I was afraid it was too lean.....hope it isn't much more than a map issue....
I'm sure FM will get you right. I wouldn't ride it much till then!

Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 PM
J-Rod75
Cruiser

I was thinking of putting in the "STOCKER MAP" from the PC website....and going to work and back (only about 15 miles total)....maybe that would work? You think that may be something worth doing? Stinks that I work the next for days for 12 hours and have a trip planned to Americade and then Laconia.....

Old 06-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

The rear cylinder is behind the front cylinder. It gets less air, and typically runs hotter than the front. Certain Tuners address this to some extent. The fact remains, the rear cylinder even in a well tuned motor runs hotter. It is not at all uncommon to see the later Harley's rear pipe right where it exits the head glowing red at night. If you already have a preprogrammed map from Fuel Moto and it was programmed for what you told them you were putting on the bike, and you followed through and did not change anything, and you have no intake leaks, your bike will not self destruct. Call fuel moto after the weekend is over and they will richen things up a little more based on your description. I'd ride it until then as long as it is not lean stumbling all over itself and you will be fine.

Last edited by Rickr01; 06-04-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:41 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Thats's EXACTLY what was happening to mine and I called FM. They set me up!! Bike runs GREAT now!!

Give 'em a call!!

Old 06-04-2011, 11:44 AM
2nd Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned,check for an intake leak on the rear cylinder.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:23 PM
J-Rod75
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RaceFace
Thats's EXACTLY what was happening to mine and I called FM. They set me up!! Bike runs GREAT now!!

Give 'em a call!!

That's the plan on Monday my friend--also bought some SE gaskets from Harley---I've read on here that people use 2....you guys ever hear about that? I'm sure it can't make too much of a negative impact, but I picked up two sets from the MOCO today.

Quick Reply: Red Hot Rear exhaust? HELP!?!?!