Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal Shavings in oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 05:27 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Metal Shavings in oil filter

I took my bike to a local independent that specializes in Harley Davidson for my 25k mile service. When I picked it up the guy showed me part of the oil filter from my bike that had small metal shavings in it. He didn't mention anything about the old oil itself (and I didn't think to ask at the time). He seemed very concerned that I have been using (and requested again) synthetic oil; basically blaming the synthetic for the metal shavings. What do you guys think about the metal shavings? To be honest I've never cut open an oil filter from my bike (or any of my cars) so maybe metal shavings are always present indicating the filter is doing its job? What about fine metal shavings from the magnetic plugs on the other holes? It's really bothering me.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:41 PM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may typically find metal particles in the oil, but shavings imply you can see them with the naked eye, and that isn't normal.
Was the Indy concerned enough to get the oil sampled?
Knowing what type of metal shavings they are should help you track down where they came from.
Was it a scare tactic to get you to service something?
Your post just spawned a bunch of questions.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:50 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there are two magnetic plugs one for engine and one for tranny that chatches iron particles...but the particles are so small that collecively...it looks like gook. Shavings in the filter...I would send in for an oil analisys kit...you could have a bad bearing or bearing race.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anytime Ive cut open an oil filter Ive found metal particles/shavings. It depends on how big the shavings are that causes concern.

The only thing in your engine protecting the metal to metal contact is your oil. No matter what/whose oil youre using, there will always be some metal worn off during normal riding.

- Very fine metal dust is normal
- Larger particles with a few flakes mixed in is ok but you need to check the filter each change.
- Very large flakes that you can easily see & feel is a concern
- Large long flakes is a serious concern, normally from the rod bearings but can be other areas

Dull silver is usually aluminum & non magnetic
Gold color is from the brass bushings if your bike has them
Shiney silver is usually steel & magnetic

You didnt say what oil youre running but given the lubrication properties of Synthetic Oil, I seriously doubt running Synth Oil is the cause.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:53 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HD puts Synthetics in all the CVO's, I would think they know what they are doing by now. Get a new mechanic.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

If he's blaming the synthetic oil, I'd find a new mechanic. I'd also want to see that this indeed came out of my filter. I say Find a new mechanic. Better yet, try changing the oils yourself.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:03 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What did he use to cut the filter open. How do you know it's not from that. Synthetic oil does not cause engines to self destruct. Get a mechanic that has left the dark ages behind him.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:07 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for the quick responses; I appreciate it. The few shavings that he showed me were fairly small and he showed them to me by putting a magnet under the cut away filter material (no shell) and moving them around. He didn't seem to be trying to sell me anything other than to not use synthetic oil (I've been using HD Syn3 since the first service). He did not offer to have the oil tested. Since I don't have the used oil or filter I'm not sure what to do from here.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:11 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rickr01
If he's blaming the synthetic oil, I'd find a new mechanic. I'd also want to see that this indeed came out of my filter. I say Find a new mechanic. Better yet, try changing the oils yourself.
Originally Posted by 69cj
What did he use to cut the filter open. How do you know it's not from that. Synthetic oil does not cause engines to self destruct. Get a mechanic that has left the dark ages behind him.

Good points. I did three oil changes myself and never noticed anything bad; but I never cut open the filter either and never considered it. On the 30K I'll either do it or find someone new.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:12 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Metal flakes but not shavings. It may be a matter of semantics here. As already mentioned if the particles are very large it's not good but it normal to see very small metallic particles in the oil. Especially on a fairly new engine. Sounds like the filter is doing a good job.

Quick Reply: Metal Shavings in oil filter