Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the difference with "international" mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 07:08 AM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's the difference with "international" mufflers?

I see different stock mufflers listed on dealer parts lookup systems for US bikes and international bikes and sometimes more than one international muffler is listed, such as Japan and another for Australia. Does anyone have an "international" bike and is it quieter than a US bike? I'm guessing that the overseas markets probably have stricter noise requirements than the US and the mufflers here are louder here but I'm just guessing.

I'm probably the only guy in America looking to make my stock Harley quieter (tinnitus sucks) and I'm thinking about buying a right side international muffler for my 2010 RKC if it's genuinely quieter than the stock US unit. The stock right side muffler on my bike sets my ear on fire after about an hour of riding. The earplugs aren't working that well so I want to get a quieter muffler if possible.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:27 AM
gsrhoden
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dale my friend, you are not the only one out there. I also suffer from Tinnitus and I know exactly what you are going through.

Let me know how it goes for you and if you come up with a solution. Of course I bet some will suggest getting a Gold Wing if you can't handle the noise. Well, I've been there (many times) and not interested in going back right now.

Good luck.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:32 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 337 Likes on 193 Posts

I don't mind the stock pipes, but I'd prefer if they were quieter. Longer or turn down style tips may help with your issue.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:42 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,334 Likes on 2,526 Posts

i don't know about all, i hate to make blanket statements, but the international bikes have 'active' exhaust and intake. meaning that there is some kind of trap door type setup to regulate noise levels. that plug that just sits there on the back of the stock air cleaner? thats for the active intake. not sure what runs the exhaust. don't know how it would work on a us bike either.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:13 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Since before I bought my 1990 International spec FLHS new European bikes have had quieter mufflers and other features, to meet Swiss noise regulations, that are stricter than US ones. So you are quite right! We take them off and fit after-market mufflers just as you do, most often from well known US brands. I am not sure about Australia and Japan.

I have a dream of owning a bike with a monster motor and deathly quiet exhaust - like a stealth dresser!

Old 06-03-2011, 11:19 AM
kdfcogwheel
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dale_K
I see different stock mufflers listed on dealer parts lookup systems for US bikes and international bikes and sometimes more than one international muffler is listed, such as Japan and another for Australia. Does anyone have an "international" bike and is it quieter than a US bike? I'm guessing that the overseas markets probably have stricter noise requirements than the US and the mufflers here are louder here but I'm just guessing.

I'm probably the only guy in America looking to make my stock Harley quieter (tinnitus sucks) and I'm thinking about buying a right side international muffler for my 2010 RKC if it's genuinely quieter than the stock US unit. The stock right side muffler on my bike sets my ear on fire after about an hour of riding. The earplugs aren't working that well so I want to get a quieter muffler if possible.
Here, Here! After many years of working around jet engines, my ears constantly 'ring.' I wanted more flow through the motor [equates to more power/torque], but didn't want more noise. I opted for the V&H EPA compliant ovals. They are larger than stock, but at cruise speeds (60 - 80) I can't even hear them. Just wind and stereo. I do not use ear plugs, although I have access to several styles at work.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:52 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by kdfcogwheel
I do not use ear plugs, although I have access to several styles at work.
I really do recommend you start using them! A comprehensive study was published back in the 70s in a US bike mag and I find it remarkable that it seems to have been forgotten! There is a serious risk of hearing loss to motorcyclists and I have been wearing them for over 30 years. No way would my wife and I have travelled 2,750 miles in a fortnight (got home last Sunday) without them! We also use them on longer journeys in the car and whenever we fly. I love my hi-fi music and hope to enjoy it for a long time yet.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:53 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dale

I have the original mufflers from my Australian delivered king. They are in the shed.

If you pay freight you can have them. PM me if you are interested, I will take some pics and you can see if there are any visual differences.

The left side muffler has a tiny outlet, like 3/8, from memory. They have been in the boxes for years.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Dale_K
Tourer

If it's not too much trouble for you I'd love to see a couple of pictures. One looking down the pipe from each end would be good. I was only planning on replacing my right side muffler since the left side is pretty quiet already and seems to have internal baffles.

Have you ever had the opportunity to compare the sound level (loudness) between your stock mufflers and a stock non-Australian bike? Do you know if your country has generally stricter noise control laws than the US? I very well could be interested in your parts if I thought they would do some good for me. I've even thought about trying to fabricate some kind of baffle that would fit inside my stock US right side muffler but I'm worried I'll do something harmful to the motor. A genuine stock Harley part like yours has some appeal. I'd get both of your slip ons if we go ahead with this.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Dale,

If you go to Harley's website, you can change countries at the bottom of the screen, or click on the red USA at the top. There you can see the models available in other countries and see how things like muffler shape differs. You will probably need a pair for them to match aesthetically, if nothing else. If you open several tabs on your favourite browser you can study the 360s of the same bike in several markets!

Quick Reply: What's the difference with "international" mufflers?