Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much lower is the Road King Custom?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011 | 11:55 PM
bdawg
|
Cruiser
Default How much lower is the Road King Custom?

Curious,

I'm going to a Road King. I ride a lot in the mountians, and was researching the Custom, and discovered it was lower than a RKClassic and Standard. How much lower? How much ground clearance do they give up? I despise grinding floor boards on every turn.

Thanks

Old 06-03-2011 | 12:17 AM
ernster500
Tourer

The Road King Custom came with 12" air shocks on the rear. So, 1" lower in the rear over the other two. The fronts are supposed to be the same height giving it a very slight "rake."

As far as scraping, I get into the twisties that we have here in SoCal. I've only hit my board once. Keep in mind that the streamliner boards are narrower than the boards on the other two rks.

Hope that helps!

E

Old 06-03-2011 | 05:55 AM
zam70
Cruiser

Lean your body first, then the bike and you shouldn't scrape.

Old 06-03-2011 | 06:08 AM
paguy
Road Captain

Had a shock go bad on my 07 RKC. Replaced it with the low profile shocks. A riding bud has an 06 Custom. It appears the bikes are at the same height. I'm not sure that the custom front end isn't lower, but I do like the slight rake on mine.
Anyhow, I live and ride moutain roads. No problem.

Old 06-03-2011 | 08:02 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by paguy
I'm not sure that the custom front end isn't lower, but I do like the slight rake on mine.
it's not. if you get the custom and find that it's too low, you can always make it like every other road king, electra glide, etc. and put the 13'' shocks on it. you could even find take offs at a decent price, and there is no shortage of guys looking for the shorter shocks, you could even come out a few bucks ahead (unless you decided to store your shocks for later)

the big differences in the custom vs standard road king are cosmetics. different engine treatments, more chrome, hard leather saddlebags, and of course, the windshield. i'd get rid (actually i did) of the chrome windscreen and go with the stock riser cover and a detachable windshield. you also lose the passing lights with the custom, and cruise control is an option, not standard.

they only made the custom from 04 to 07. 07 being the only year available with the 96''/6spd.

Old 06-03-2011 | 08:18 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by bdawg
Curious,

I'm going to a Road King. I ride a lot in the mountians, and was researching the Custom, and discovered it was lower than a RKClassic and Standard. How much lower? How much ground clearance do they give up? I despise grinding floor boards on every turn.

Thanks
ground clearance difference is .400 or about 3/8".

Old 06-03-2011 | 08:36 AM
king dawg
Cruiser

The Custom is 1" lower in the back. I haven't scraped my running boards yet.

Old 06-03-2011 | 08:54 AM
gipper
Road Master

Scrape my floor boards all the time on my 05. I'm okay with it...tells me I'm gettin' after it, but I'm far enough at the same time.

Old 06-03-2011 | 08:57 AM
reh13
Road Master

Don't know what year your bike is, but on the 06 models the RK Custom is listed as having a 4.7" ground clearance, and the RK Classic & Standard are listed as having a 5.1" clearance. I would imagine most other years are close to the same specs. Hope this helps.

Old 06-03-2011 | 08:59 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

Similar to a Street Glide, of which I scrape my boards all the time. On the model you can raise your floor boards about a 1/2 inch. But sooner or the later the better you get you are back to scraping. Just common sense.

Also incorrect advise leaning your body first, to controll the bike learn counter streering and throttle controll through your turns. (Totally different thread). That is what precludes scrapping and wobble.

Quick Reply: How much lower is the Road King Custom?