Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cop Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:40 PM
itstime2ride
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All good info. I have had heard great things about Town and Country in Cement City MI, but would recommened all of the checks from previous posts before buying any used police bike.

The police bikes lack some of the basics like radio etc and the wiring is entirely different so if you plan on adding cruise or hand controls it can add up quickly to what an electra glide classic goes for quickly.

As for comfort, there is no better seat than the air ride police seat. Looks ugly but for me comfort and no back pain.

I have a 2011 and bought it new. Still beat the prices of anything out there.

If you look on the internet there is a whole sub-culture of police bike owners and lots more info available

Old 06-02-2011, 08:42 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Important to note that not ALL cop bikes will have ABS. My department orders them without.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:57 PM
2001NightTrain
Cruiser

Not sure what bells and whistles LRS is talking about the police bike lacking. I have a 2011 road king police bike that I bought new. Other than cruise it doesn't lack anything a civilian bike has and in fact has several things a standard bike doesn't, depending on model, without upgrades and add ons, such as 103 engine, ABS, oil cooler, tach, etc.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:18 PM
CoastlineAmps
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 2001NightTrain
Not sure what bells and whistles LRS is talking about the police bike lacking. I have a 2011 road king police bike that I bought new. Other than cruise it doesn't lack anything a civilian bike has and in fact has several things a standard bike doesn't, depending on model, without upgrades and add ons, such as 103 engine, ABS, oil cooler, tach, etc.
I second that. Why is some people scare to dip into a police bike. Because they think they are ridden hard and don't have all the goodies? Well, for the price like my 2009 FLHP Road King with 11,900 miles was only 11,400. That is almost 2,000 below NADA for a road king standard. Plus you get ABS, oil cooler, Tach, and 103"......I would also point out that whatever your riding style and comfort level is, you can get caught up in a ton of money for a decked out cruiser or settle for a real good police bike and custom it to your own liking. Either way, it's an Harley Davidson.......

Old 06-02-2011, 09:27 PM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree that a police bike will cost 4 grand to convert to civilian. Change the seat, change the lights and ride. I wouldn't let that deter you from buying one. They are great bikes. They are harleys, they are built strong and maintained often more than our bikes.

Originally Posted by Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Like buying anything used, it depends on how the previous owner/user treated it.

On the plus side, they are a blank canvas. On the minus side it costs a fortune to make it what you want.

As for price, I find the dealers are trying to screw over people on the price. They should be heavily discounted compared to a FLHT or Electraglide Standard.

Find out what department they came from, and then start asking around about that agency and how they treated the bikes. I know some agencies that never use the bikes and they are babied, I know other departments where the bikes are beaten like red headed step children.

Make sure there is a 2 up seat AND new tires on the bike. Run Flat tires that are standard equipment on P spec bikes are NOT rated for 2 up riding, there is actually a sticker on the bike that tells you that.

Figure you are going to have to get a radio, speakers, and a Hog Tunes or Hawg Wired install kit.

Price out a tour pack and back rest and make sure you have someone that knows CPR close by.

Ya the cop bags open differently, that can screw things up with a tour pack added..... price out used bags or new tops, hinges, inserts and locks.....

then you'll be wanting an oil pressure gauge and a oil temp gauge, again there is a good 150 bucks spent.

Paint.... you are going to want to paint it, again big big bucks.

You can buy a real nice civilian bike for less money IMHO and without having the worry that is was beat to death.

to get a P spec bike into "nice" condition, figure about 4 grand plus the cost of the bike.... lots of used bikes for that kind of $$$

Old 06-02-2011, 09:32 PM
CoastlineAmps
Cruiser

Keep the seat. That air ride is BADASS.......I almost made a mistake on getting rid of it. But when I rode mine for a while, I actually got used to it....My feet will not flat foot, but I adapted to it and cannot even tell I am tippy toed.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

As stated not all police bikes come with ABS; they should as it should not even be a choice. Our last bike was 2 years old and had around 6,000 miles on it. Other then the boards being scraped up some (again not abuse just good police riding), the bike was in great shape. Probably better then mine. The agencies that keep there bikes a while or buy them outright can have some that are abused. Ours is a lease, so we have to keep it in good shape or we get charged. I would have no issues buying a fairly new used police bike. Just do some digging.

Good luck,

Neil
RDMC

Old 06-02-2011, 09:58 PM
brunosrk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Jeepin79
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the info, it is actually a Road King cop bike so adding a radio is not an issue. I will check on the ABS when I look at it.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:49 PM
assaultthesalt
Cruiser

I'm on my 2nd police bike.First 1 was a Electra Glide....did not want a radio.....I like listening to my Thunderheader Now I own a Road King Police that I got for a good deal.....alot cheaper than a civilian model.Presently have a Woodys Fairing on order and am working on a King Tour Pac.This bike also has a Thunderheader....I love their performance and sound.Even w/ all of these extras, I'm still money ahead ! And that is a FACT ! Police bikes are some of the best deals out there !

Quick Reply: Cop Bikes