Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totalled my bike possibly. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Traceman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
if the tab where the crash bar mounts is bent, that usually totals the bike. so i would guess that if it were cracked, the same would apply.

maybe time to start shopping for that new bike (always look on the bright side)
Yeah its definitly cracked a little from the crash bar twisting it.

were any of you able to keep some of your accessories off the bike before they hauled it off?

Old 06-02-2011, 12:35 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah dude before you sign any agreement with the insurance company, negotiate and agree on what parts come off in your hands.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:54 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my wifes was cracked in the same place TOTALED

Old 06-02-2011, 03:48 PM
02RKC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Progressive

Originally Posted by Traceman
The Memory Maker and my girlfriends bike Sassy were both involved in a wreck. Luckilly her Dyna has some minor damage like the tank, fender and the stop tab on her triple tree broke. As you can see from the pic we are both alive and kicking. I got mostly road rash and bruises and she got a broke hand, sprained knee and ankle. Not pretty but alive!

I was just wondering for those who have been involved in claims with Progressive how well they treated you and if you had any advice for when the adjuster comes. I had $6000 in accessory insurance and wondered also how well the paid you if they do total it. Do they pay NADA tradein, retail, or something else? How did you prove the value of the accessories?

There is a lot of minor damage to my bike. Several body panels, front wheel, crash bar, left floorboards, rineharts, grips, mirrors, handlebars and a few other items. The bike went airborn they say about 6 feet after hitting a curb and it jumped across a ditch and landed straight up on the suspension with the crashbar holding it up against the bank. I am pretty sure it had to over compress the suspension and possibly bend the frame. It being a 2004 bike I would just assume they total it if they can.
Brother, first off I'll say thank goodness that you and the misses are ok!!! I totalled my 09 SG about 6 weeks ago, I have Progressive, love them. The other driver was at fault, pulled out in front of us, we T-boned her at about 40mph, the two of us slamming into the car and flying in different directions, no fun but we're walking and talking. Progressive uses NADA and fair market value to decide, I looked at KBB and NADA my bike was between 16K and 18'ish in both. My policy had a $3000 pot for upgrades/accessories. They gave me 19,5 for the bike and 3K for upgrades plus tax, all said and done I walked away with 24K would've been a little more but I had to pay my deductable, they'll go after her insurance for that, and I'll get that back. I had to show receipts for upgrades. My dealer and I talked before the adjuster came in and since my frame was bent and a whole lot more they said it would be a total loss. She was right, once he looked at it he called and said total loss, a couple days later I had check in hand. I hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:46 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

what ever you do DO NOT SIGN A DADGUM THING
till you are happy with what they are willing to do
and at this point a lawyer is a good one to have

Old 06-02-2011, 06:02 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

..Traceman..a couple of things to take note of, first, every insurance co. has a different way of totaling a bike, some total it at 70% of value, some 80%..some right up to value. Some will total it just because they can, others will fight tooth and nail to fix it if it is $1.00 less expensive than totaling it. I highly doubt yours will be fixed, it NEEDS a frame, forget about that "welding up the neck" bit...no way should you ever allow that instead of them paying to replace the frame. Don't forget also that every bike has a salvage value, lets say your bike is worth 13,000 retail, and 4,000 salvage...an ins co could total it when it hits $9000 in damage. They pay you 13K and get back 4K...almost guarantee yours is totaled based on the frame. I'm a Mass state licensed appraiser and have totaled a lot of bikes over the years for different ins companies. I could total your bike at about $7k if i wanted to just based on the potential supplement damage. It's all in how you write up the claim. You should be alright, and if it was my bike I would push to total it and get into a newer one...good luck

Old 06-02-2011, 06:14 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Who was at fault? I was in a bad accident and the driver at fault had Progressive. They didn't total my bike. As a matter of fact, the dealer told me they hardly ever total a bike unless the frame is trashed. Anyway, they fixed everything on it right down to replacing my 15 year old tool pouch with a brand new one. I have zero complaints about how my bike was handled. I got no grief over anything that was replaced on the bike. There was nothing that was repaired. Everything that had damage was replaced. I got the bike back in better condition than before the wreck. All new metal and other pieces parts will do that for a bike. The repair was over 10K on a 6 year old Dyna.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Glad you are OK if it's totaled you will get a better deal then you can sell it for.You can negotiate the settlement to keep the bike and fixed it up and even make more out of it. A friend of mine had two incidents in few years and made out pretty good and kept the bikes, could be different from state to state.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Traceman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by roadking2000
Who was at fault? I was in a bad accident and the driver at fault had Progressive. They didn't total my bike. As a matter of fact, the dealer told me they hardly ever total a bike unless the frame is trashed. Anyway, they fixed everything on it right down to replacing my 15 year old tool pouch with a brand new one. I have zero complaints about how my bike was handled. I got no grief over anything that was replaced on the bike. There was nothing that was repaired. Everything that had damage was replaced. I got the bike back in better condition than before the wreck. All new metal and other pieces parts will do that for a bike. The repair was over 10K on a 6 year old Dyna.
Progressive decided it was my fault which is fine with me. There was no need in both of having to pay a deductible and this way she gets lost wages and medical bills taken care of.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:15 AM
Traceman
Road Captain

So those of you with Progressive that totalled your bike.....were you able to pull off accessories after the adjuster came out? Just worried because there is so much on there that I dont have enough accessory ins to cover.

Quick Reply: Totalled my bike possibly. Need advice.