Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alarm advice part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011 | 02:57 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by zfdtruckman
Cut off the plug leaving at least 2" of wire on the plug end. Stub in the siren wiring with weatherproof crimp connectors or solder and cover with shrink wrap (red piezo wire to brown plug wire, black piezo wire to green plug wire). Keep the plug if you need it in the future (it can easily be patched back in). It is like a metri-pack but has a insert made specifically for the Harley alarm module. I put a weatherproof toggle switch in line with the power feed (red to brown) to the piezo and mounted it so your reach under the front of the seat so it can activate or deactivate the alarm or chirping if needed. Not cool going to a biker bar and pulling up and announcing your're arrival - "CHIRP, CHIRP!"

Good idea.

I'm about to install this, this weekend. Went to Radio Shack and got the parts yesterday. Hadn't thought about the "chirp, chirp" every time I park - that is kinda lame. The switch is a good idea. Got any pics of your switch setup? Where'd you get the weatherproof toggle, Radio Shack?

Old 06-02-2011 | 03:37 PM
zfdtruckman
Cruiser

I'm about to install this, this weekend. Went to Radio Shack and got the parts yesterday. Hadn't thought about the "chirp, chirp" every time I park - that is kinda lame. The switch is a good idea. Got any pics of your switch setup? Where'd you get the weatherproof toggle, Radio Shack?
I used to build police cars on the side and did all the accessory wiring on our fire apparatus. I had a spare mini weatherproof toggle in my parts bin. They are available almost anywhere, not sure about Radio Shack. I have an electronic supply shop near me in Kenosha. I'll put the bike back on the lift and shoot some photos. Can't guarantee they'll be up until after the weekend. Gotta take off the bag, side cover and seat. I shrink wrapped the ends of the cut off plug together to protect them and put the plug back in the storage connection where it came from to keep from losing it.

Old 06-02-2011 | 06:44 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by zfdtruckman
I used to build police cars on the side and did all the accessory wiring on our fire apparatus. I had a spare mini weatherproof toggle in my parts bin. They are available almost anywhere, not sure about Radio Shack. I have an electronic supply shop near me in Kenosha. I'll put the bike back on the lift and shoot some photos. Can't guarantee they'll be up until after the weekend. Gotta take off the bag, side cover and seat. I shrink wrapped the ends of the cut off plug together to protect them and put the plug back in the storage connection where it came from to keep from losing it.
Ok, thanks. If you don't get to the pictures, that's no big deal. I'm pretty good at this kind of stuff anyway. I've rewired complete bikes before, shrinkwrap and solder is my friend...and I like to keep things clean and nice - if I put the switch on, I'll figure something out.

I think I'll just deal with the chirp-chirp for a while, if it's too annoying, I'll then splice in the switch. Again, great idea.

Old 06-02-2011 | 09:34 PM
JRBass
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fleabite
Ok, thanks. If you don't get to the pictures, that's no big deal. I'm pretty good at this kind of stuff anyway. I've rewired complete bikes before, shrinkwrap and solder is my friend...and I like to keep things clean and nice - if I put the switch on, I'll figure something out.

I think I'll just deal with the chirp-chirp for a while, if it's too annoying, I'll then splice in the switch. Again, great idea.
Read your owners manual. You can de-activate the chirp by doing to arm and dis-arm cycles I think it is and turn off the chirp. No need for a switch or any other mods to the siren install. If you like the chirp it is defaulted as engaged otherwise follow owners manual on the alarm and turn it off.

Old 06-03-2011 | 12:28 AM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JRBass
Read your owners manual. You can de-activate the chirp by doing to arm and dis-arm cycles I think it is and turn off the chirp. No need for a switch or any other mods to the siren install. If you like the chirp it is defaulted as engaged otherwise follow owners manual on the alarm and turn it off.
Thank you sir. Didn't know that, will do. I don't have the siren, obviously, so I never bothered to look.

Old 06-03-2011 | 02:57 PM
zfdtruckman
Cruiser

That is the way to do it but if you don't want to try to remember the squence of turning the ign switch on and off and other stuff, just flip your hidden switch. Like the valet switch on a car system.

Old 06-05-2011 | 11:05 AM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

Patent Pending. Just kidding.

Thanks wachuko and others! Works like a charm. I figure if this one dies someday, I'll just slap another one in. However, I'd probably hard wire it next time.

Old 06-05-2011 | 11:07 AM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

Oh, and the chirping doesn't bother me. No switch needed. Thanks though.