Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle up stabilizer installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011 | 09:26 PM
stu07hd
|
Tourer
Default Throttle up stabilizer installed

After seeing the recent news story on the "Harley death wobble" I decided to do something about it on my bike. I have always been somewhat concerned about the wobble that I get from time to time. My 07 Ultra always felt uneasy in turns taken at higher speed, even more so 2 up loaded heavy.

I always just blew it off. Hey, it's not a sport bike. It is an 850 lb touring bike (and a lot more 2 up loaded with luggage). I am a somewhat aggressive rider and never liked that uneasy feeling. It always seemed to make me nervous. Hitting a bump or un-even pavement in a fast sweeper sure gave me some pucker factor.

I opted for the Throttle up stablizer. I chose that one mainly based on price and ease of install. It seems to be very well made and is black wrinkle finish powder coat that matches the cases. It took me about 45 minutes to put it on (after a few hiccups due to me not paying attention to the instructions). The install is pretty easy and can be done with the bike on the jiffy stand.

I noticed a difference right away. The bike now shakes in a whole different way at idle. The handlebar shake is reduced by about half, and the whole bike vibrates a bit more.

I took some fast sweepers today and the bike is much more stable and feels so much more planted to the pavement. I have yet to ride two up or loaded heavy, but I am betting it is going to be a huge improvement.

Anyone that has a pre-09 bike should really consider it. I wish I would have put it on 20,000 miles ago.

Old 06-01-2011 | 09:36 PM
mikecourthd
Cruiser

The guy I bought my bike from swore by them after his brother in law went down in a curve at 65 mph and now is paralized. I have alot of people ask about it and say they have been looking. When do you notcie the vibration?

Old 06-01-2011 | 09:45 PM
07standard
Advanced

i put a progressive touring stablizer on my bike and can say its probably the best thing i've put on it yet. it makes the bike way more stable in the high speed corners. i found some sta-bo bushing on ebay for cheap so i did those as well and they made quite a bit of difference too. good choice on the upgrade man!

Old 06-01-2011 | 09:53 PM
stu07hd
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by mikecourthd
The guy I bought my bike from swore by them after his brother in law went down in a curve at 65 mph and now is paralized. I have alot of people ask about it and say they have been looking. When do you notcie the vibration?
The vibration just feels different at idle, not a bad thing, just different. Off idle I don't notice any difference than it always had from new.