Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Died 100 miles after stereo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Baddflhtcu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Died 100 miles after stereo upgrade

I have 07 Ultra w/22K on the clock. It always has ran fine until I did stereo upgrade. I rode it on 3 short trips after install to check out sound. Then took a 50 mile trip to Thunder HD Pulling away from a light she just quit. She would crank over but acted like she was not getting fuel. I have a VH fuel pak so I took it out of loop & still no start. I was 55 miles from home but only 2 blocks from Thunder HD. They came & took bike back to shop. Dealer took fuel pak out of loop & it started "once". Then wouldn't start for dealer with or without fuel pak. Dealer found no codes, could hear fuel pump, reflashed ecm back to day one status. Still no start with or without fuel pak. Dealer went to disconect fuel line from tank to check fuel pressure. When he started to wiggle line heard a hiss sound. He checked pressure it was good. Shook gas cap to see if ball bearing was free & blew thru it too. He also removed console to see if my install had damaged tank vent or wiring. All looked ok & now mysteriusly bike starts everytime. Dealer put about 10 miles on it no problems. I rode it 50 miles home no problems. Now I'm afraid to ride bike not knowing when or where she will act up again. Coincidence or did I screw up? Could it have been Vapor Lock from pinched vent line under console? If so would it take 100 miles to act up? Sorry about long story but would love to hear some suggestions!!!!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Maybe if you told us what type of music you were playing when the bike died it could help...

Old 06-01-2011, 09:10 PM
blackswampbiker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You never said what all stereo upgrade you did. So assuming you did an amp or new head unit, where did you ground at? To me it sounds like you may have grounded to existing ground source and now your not making a good ground all the time so I would check your ground over

Old 06-01-2011, 09:28 PM
wing_rdr
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A friend's bike started doing the same thing ie cutting out when you least expect it and for no apparent reason. Everything checked out but it would not start. Poke around at a number of things and after a few minutes it would start and run until it happened again. Finally tracked it down after numerous side of the road prayer meetings and it turned out to be a wire from the kill switch was shorting out. It may have been damaged when he had some work done and the right switch assembly was not tight enough. Slight movement would cause it to short out the wire.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a buddy with an 07ultra that would do this any time he would romp on the throttle and hold it for any length of time. Bike would quit and not start for about 30-45 mins. Then it would start and run fine. After 2 trips to the dealer and they said they couldnt duplicate the problem due to safety reasons (their mechs never break the speed limit). Another friend who prides himself to be a shade tree harley mechanic replaced the tank petcock and fixed the problem. Never happened again.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:58 PM
garysc
Novice
Default Electrical short

with the scooter running turn handle bars to the right why more tension on cables, then push on outer fairing up by the top like by where the radio,amp medal braces are inside.or look inside with it running move wires any of the new connection that u made or new wires that u ran,make sure they r not crossing over the medal braces ,back of radio ect. because when u button it up it get tight in there Hope this helps

Old 06-02-2011, 08:23 AM
BigD64
Tourer

I had a similar issue on my 09 with a PC-V installed. Did the fuel pump kick on when you switched it to run or not? Mine ended up being a bad ground on the power commander itself and would blow the ECM fuse.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:35 AM
NoKenDo
Road Master
Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by coolerman69
Another friend who prides himself to be a shade tree harley mechanic replaced the tank petcock and fixed the problem. Never happened again.
I had this issue with my '06. While riding it would just cut out. I could reach
reach down and give the connection a little twist and the engine would fire
back up. Sort of like running out of gas and turning on the reserve.
I had the petcock replaced and haven't had a problem since.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:39 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

It sure sounds like an electrical problem. The dealer probably fixed it unintentionally when they moved all those wires around.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:07 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
Maybe if you told us what type of music you were playing when the bike died it could help...
You beat me to it Larry.

Quick Reply: Bike Died 100 miles after stereo upgrade