Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE211 Cam / 97" S&S Big Bire Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:13 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts
Default SE211 Cam / 97" S&S Big Bire Kit

Will the two work together?

I ride a 2005 Road King Custom. It currently has the aforementioned cams and Stage 1, with Rinehart S/O's. Fuel is managed by a Power Commander.

I'm happy with my current set up, but the bike has valve-itis (just added the third quart of oil in slightly less than 3K miles), so if I am going to take the time to fix it, I think a big bore is in order while I'm at it. If the SE211 cams will work with this kit, I think I like the S&S for the cost/benefit. I don't want to buy new cams though, so I would take a look at another set up if this is not a marriage.

I'll be doing the work myself. Any input is much appreciated.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:10 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't imagine why it wouldn't . But you could always call S&S . Sounds like a cool idea . Are having the heads worked ?

Old 06-01-2011, 05:50 PM
gipper
Road Master

Originally Posted by jaysonL
I can't imagine why it wouldn't . But you could always call S&S . Sounds like a cool idea . Are having the heads worked ?
Hadn't planned on it; didn't even enter my mind as a necessity. To be honest, I don't know half as much as a lot of guys that post up on this site. I have tools, a manual, *****, and the money to bail myself out if I screw up (really hoping that doesn't happen though!). Hence, any feedback from those that know the two is appreiated.

As far as the head work goes, what kind of head work are you referring to, Jayson? Is it needed?

Old 06-01-2011, 06:04 PM
gipper
Road Master

posted twice

Last edited by gipper; 06-01-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: posted twice
Old 06-01-2011, 06:09 PM
bigdady
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the 211 cams in my 103 and in my 96 and i love them. go for it
I wouldnt do the heads unless you are going to have your TB bored out or buy one from HPI Inc

Old 06-01-2011, 06:41 PM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
Will the two work together?
I'm happy with my current set up, but the bike has valve-itis (just added the third quart of oil in slightly less than 3K miles.
I'm all for big bore kits but if you have valve-itis, a big bore kit doesn't fix that. If you are thinking you're losing oil across the valve seals (valve-itis?) then you should put new valve seals in it...and sprinkle in some port work on your heads as well.

If you have a ring problem...now the big bore kit is your cure.

Good luck.

Last edited by equandt; 06-01-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:09 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by equandt
I'm all for big bore kits but if you have valve-itis, a big bore kit doesn't fix that. If you are thinking you're losing oil across the valve seals (valve-itis?) then you should put new valve seals in it...and sprinkle in some port work on your heads as well.

If you have a ring problem...now the big bore kit is your cure.

Good luck.
This is really what I was thinking too . If you have bad valves, then just changing pistons and jugs wont help your oil burn off . But perhaps it is your rings, and if so, then that should fix the burning oil problem . Other than that, you could have your valves ported, and polished, combustion chambers milled, and deck height lowered. and also you could add cometic gaskets . The power/torque in a motor is in the heads . Displacement is good, but displacement and head work will double your fun .

Old 06-01-2011, 09:33 PM
gipper
Road Master

Thought I would put in a big bore while replacing valve seals. Am I on the wrong track? I don't think it's a ring problem as much as I think it's a valve seal problem, which was prevailant in 05's...as I have been told by my local dealership, and have read here numerous times. I figured that the big bore kit would get rid of the need to have work done to the heads and save some time, while ultimately giving me a little more punch out of the motor for maybe $200-$300 more...roughly guessing.

Last edited by gipper; 06-01-2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added thought